FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
Should I get rhizomes from Jerry Addington's Sarracenias or should I wait until next year and get them from California Carnivores? Which ones would be easier to take care of?
By Panman
The catch with unknown rhizomes is just that, you don't know the parentage. Some sarrs prefer drier conditions and will rot if too wet or too wet at the wrong time. Others, like my flavas, will happily halfway in water all day long. I would suggest cutting your teeth on some know and inexpensive plants like a flava or purpurea. Then, get a more challenging plant like a leuco or minor when you can work on giving it the right conditions. I wouldn't recommend an unknown rhizome for a first try.

I am likely going to have some flava divisions in a couple of months and I could hook you up with one of them.
By TrapsAndDews
I don't have anything to trade as of now, sadly. Most of my plants are seedlings, and you have all the kinds of plants that I have.
By tracieh
Did anyone else end up ordering? I'm happy with the plants I received. I order 5 and got 6. 2 are pretty small so that's most likely why. One is pretty big too. To my novice eye they all seem healthy.

Can't get wait to see them in the spring!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my EC211001 using Tapatalk

By tracieh
I saw that today and it is very tempting to grab more!

Supercazzola liked this
By thepitchergrower
Instead of the rhizome thing, maybe we could do a challenge to see who can grow the largest Sarr. from seed in one year? It would be an interesting learning experience about fertilization. I think I finally found a way to counter the capillary action. Anyone interested? I've got some of panman's seeds stratifying in the fridge. ;) :?
Bill Phoenix, IoanAdam liked this
By IoanAdam
I think that is a really good idea!
By Bill Phoenix
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:14 pm Instead of the rhizome thing, maybe we could do a challenge to see who can grow the largest Sarr. from seed in one year? It would be an interesting learning experience about fertilization. I think I finally found a way to counter the capillary action. Anyone interested? I've got some of panman's seeds stratifying in the fridge. ;) :?
sounds great :D I'm requesting some sarr seeds
By Panman
I'm up for it, and I would like to know how you counter the capillary action in the small pitchers. My flavas from my first batch of seeds are starting to put on some size.
By tracieh
I've got about seven different types stratifying in the refrigerator now LOL

By thepitchergrower
How about this: Everyone has 12 months after the first germination. Just to keep it fair, some varieties may need to stratify for longer.
IoanAdam liked this
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!