FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Lain
I use a cheapie electric steamer just for peat and have it steam for 35mins. Haven't had any issues so far.

On a side note do take care not to burn your fingers. I've spent many years cooking and other stuff I no longer feel anything. Finger print scanners also can't read my fingers so anytime I'm traveling or going to some gov run facilities I have to give myself an extra 30mins to jump through hoops.
By Panman
For what it is worth, I've never sterilized any soil or moss prior to using it. Up until recently I also had never rinsed peat. I still don't rinse sphagnum. It works for me so I'll stick with it.
TrapsAndDews, ChefDean liked this
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:06 am
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:39 am What kind of lid?
The lid that goes with that big glass bowl.
No, wait, use aluminum foil and just keep one end barely tented.
Ok.

Wait hold it! I actually took you seriously for a minute there. :shock: I was actually thinking about using the aluminum foil as the lid. It's a good thing I realized quick enough that you were joking... :?
ChefDean, Intheswamp liked this
By nimbulan
TrapsAndDews wrote:I didn't know you needed to sterilize sphagnum moss. If I use sphagnum moss for VFTs when they're growing outside, would the moss need to be sterilized?
No there should be no need to do any sort of treatment for LFS. If you do find yourself with moss that seems like it needs to be treated, you probably should throw it away because that's a sign that it's very poor quality.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote:I didn't know you needed to sterilize sphagnum moss. If I use sphagnum moss for VFTs when they're growing outside, would the moss need to be sterilized?
I agree with Nimbulan, there shouldn't be a need to sterilize LFSM, but you can do the same as you would for peat if you so felt the urge. Also, like the peat, it won't stay sterilized because it's not being kept in a sterilized environment.
However, if you do find yourself with low quality LFSM, don't just toss it. I find that low quality, older, or just about spent LFSM is a good bottom layer in pots to help prevent the peat from washing out the drain holes.
By nimbulan
ChefDean wrote:However, if you do find yourself with low quality LFSM, don't just toss it. I find that low quality, older, or just about spent LFSM is a good bottom layer in pots to help prevent the peat from washing out the drain holes.
I would argue that's the worst use for it, personally, because that will attract anaerobic bacteria like nothing else.
By TrapsAndDews
One last question: is the perlite and silica sand in the soil safe to microwave? I just want to make sure I don't destroy the microwave.
By TrapsAndDews
Savethetrees4life wrote:Sand= glass= yes and perlite= volcanic glass= yes.
It says both are basically sterile from the start and only seem to retain water.
Ok, thanks. I didn't need to sterilize the sand and perlite. They're just already mixed with the peat. That's why I was wondering if they were microwave safe.
By TrapsAndDews
I'll microwave my peat separately next time. I just don't want to pick out every piece of sand and perlite from the soil I have prepared already.
By TrapsAndDews
It took me a while to heat up the dirt to 165 degrees. Hopefully it worked. Thanks for all the advice guys.
By thepitchergrower
If I poured 200+ degree water onto cold soil, maybe the soil will end up at around 165 degrees? Ah well, I will never be able to use the oven or the microwave.
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm If I poured 200+ degree water onto cold soil, maybe the soil will end up at around 165 degrees? Ah well, I will never be able to use the oven or the microwave.
Yes. If you poured enough 200°F+ water over room temperature media, it would eventually get it all hot enough to reach or exceed 165°F. However, backing up a bit, have you examined if you really need to sterilize the media to begin with?
We've been focusing on how you can sterilize your media without knowing if it's necessary. Is your media contaminated? Does it quickly go moldy with more than just a normal light, gray fuzz? The media will immediately be put into a non sterile environment anyway, so is it necessary to take steps that will only slightly delay critters or spores, while at the same time degrading your media with excessive heat?

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!