FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

Just started propagating more sundews for fun (trying out my spatulata this time!), and I was wondering, what is the lighting requirement for doing so? My capensis attempt took like 2 months before it struck, but for that one I only had it near a really weak glow light.

I have some space under my LED Yescom 225, so I was wondering if I move my spatulata leaf pullings under there, would they maybe strike faster? They're like a foot below the lights, so I think they won't overheat or anything.

By Carnies
I would dip the leaves all the way in the water so they are submerged, I left my LCs under a windowsill, they don't need that much light, but the light you're using should be fine.
Nikson liked this
By thepitchergrower
Carnies wrote:I would dip the leaves all the way in the water so they are submerged, I left my LCs under a windowsill, they don't need that much light, but the light you're using should be fine.
Definitely push them into the water more. They don't need too much light, as long as you use a TON of maxsea.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:23 am
Carnies wrote:I would dip the leaves all the way in the water so they are submerged, I left my LCs under a windowsill, they don't need that much light, but the light you're using should be fine.
Definitely push them into the water more. They don't need too much light, as long as you use a TON of maxsea.
Woah, I didn't know you could use Maxsea on leaf cuttings! How does that work? Just feed the leaves like normal, as if they were still on the plant?
By Nikson
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:58 am I use max sea once the bud, and those buds produce Carnivorous leaves.
Ah very cool! Also, do you know if the leaves need to face tentacle side up in the water, or does it not matter? I just remember reading people saying to keep them face up but I had no idea if this mattered lol
By Panman
I submerge the entire leaf in a jar of water and keep it under the same lights as the plants themselves.
Nikson liked this
By Lain
Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything but I gotta ask. Has anyone experienced the leaf cutting melting while in water? It would turn transparent and melt slowly. It doesn't happen to all cuttings it's completely random. Anyone know why it happens? All the cuttings are treated the same in sterile tubes, distilled water, bright light.
By Nikson
Panman wrote:I submerge the entire leaf in a jar of water and keep it under the same lights as the plants themselves.
Do you know if it matters if the leaves are facing up or down? I always see instructions that are like "keep the tentacles facing up" but a lot of my leaves flip over after I dunk them into the water lol
By Hendre
I kept my cuttings in a bright windowsill or LED lighting and they took well. Plantlets generally come out of the top surface of the leaf, even if it is upside down. This was all propped on wet sphagnum.
Nikson liked this
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!