FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
Do drosera seedlings need to have high humidity? Most of my seeds already germinated. Should I leave the seedlings with high humidity until the rest of the seeds germinate? Also, is it too late to take off the plastic wrap? (the seedlings are already putting out their first carnivorous leaves.
By thepitchergrower
To tell you if you can take off the plastic wrap, you need to consider the humidity in your setup. But, the seedlings are fine with a high level of humidity.
By TrapsAndDews
I'm using a layer of sphagnum on top. (don't know if you can sterilize that) And I planted the seedlings BEFORE I read you could sterilize soil, but I would love pictures so I know how to do it next time. I read at FlytrapCare.com that you can use a pressure cooker to sterilize soil, then I read somewhere else that if you do that, the pressure cooker could blow up. :shock: Something about the pressure creating something explosive out of the peat. :?

Should I sterilize the soil for my pygmies? (I want to get EVERYTHING right this time) Does perlite get affected by boiling water?
By steve booth
Drosera don't normally need high humidity, I never cover my seeds with a lid precisely to discourage mould, plus at the soil level if your soil is as wet as it should be, the microclimate round the seeds will be nearly 100% humidity, as that is where the water turns to vapour.
I don't sterilise my peat mix either, I have never had to in the UK, but if you want to please do, and a pressure cooker won't blow up with peat and water in it unless you do something daft. Others microwave the media as that tends to kill everything due to the damage to living tissue that the microwaves do.
Cheers
Steve
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:45 pm Sterilize the soil. I'll take some pics of how I do it later. Sounds good? ;)
Got any pictures? I think you once said that you could sterilize with boiling water. Would that water need to be distilled or can it be tap?
By TrapsAndDews
steve booth wrote:Drosera don't normally need high humidity, I never cover my seeds with a lid precisely to discourage mould, plus at the soil level if your soil is as wet as it should be, the microclimate round the seeds will be nearly 100% humidity, as that is where the water turns to vapour.
Steve
Ok, good to know for next time.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!