FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tracieh
When watering my plants the other day I noticed a bunch of babies in with my t form. I just kinda brushed it off as I waited too long to cut the flower last time it bloomed. I went to separate them out today and thought I was pulling a twig from the lfs but a decent sized plant was attached. It was on top of the soil and not buried at all. Thought it was strange but moved on to the smaller ones. They were all 1 stem w white tips at the bottom. This isn't how they normally grow from seeds. Right? I've grown these from seed a few times now and this just looks different. I consulted my Savage Garden but the most info I found is that quite possibly I missed the fact that these should be dormant?

Anyone with any tips? I just poked all the single leaves into peat/perlite. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my EC211001 using Tapatalk

By Panman
In the second picture, you are holding a part of the root of the original plant. The white part on the new plants is because they sprouted from an underground root. So no, these aren't seedlings. They are new plants from a spontaneous root division.
Supercazzola liked this
By thepitchergrower
I suspect the "twig" was a root that sprouted a division. I would think that the leaves should be budded like regular leaf cuttings. So put them in water, lie them on the soil, like your typical leaf cutting. Doesn't look dormant to me. T-form is one of those that forms a hybernaculum, according to Growsundews.com.
By tracieh
thepitchergrower wrote:
So I should have these down with my fly traps and sarrs right now?
The root was not attached to the main plant at all which threw me.
Panman wrote:In the second picture, you are holding a part of the root of the original plant. The white part on the new plants is because they sprouted from an underground root. So no, these aren't seedlings. They are new plants from a spontaneous root division.
Was it too early to remove all of them? Just lay them on the soil and hope for the best?
By Panman
The way you pulled them up, disconnected them from the root. You can try laying them on the soil and see if they will root. If you want to get other plants, just slip the original plant out of it's pot, trim off a couple of inches of one or two of the roots, and plant them just below the soil surface. They will sprout quickly and give you bigger plants faster than growing by seed.
By thepitchergrower
Panman wrote:The way you pulled them up, disconnected them from the root. You can try laying them on the soil and see if they will root. If you want to get other plants, just slip the original plant out of it's pot, trim off a couple of inches of one or two of the roots, and plant them just below the soil surface. They will sprout quickly and give you bigger plants faster than growing by seed.
I am somewhat doubtful that lying leaf pullings on the soil is going to do anything. :? If all else fails, just use them as leaf cuttings. I thought leaf pullings usually works for petiolaris and pygmies???
By tracieh
I left some in the soil sticking straight up and put about 3/4 of them in a different container laying flat like I would a leaf pulling. I have a bunch of these growing at the moment so I am not going to be heart broken if none make it. These keep flowering...alot. I have some seed packets from them to send to seed bank next month too.

As a reference for next year should I have put these into dormancy instead of bringing them in under grow lights?
By ChefDean
tracieh wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pmAs a reference for next year should I have put these into dormancy instead of bringing them in under grow lights?
Binata are one of those that are on fence. Do a little digging and you'll find people that swear up and down that binata NEED a dormancy. The very next page you find someone with an entire rack of binata that they say never go dormant.
Personally, I killed the T-Form I tried a couple years ago, my "Small Red Form" all went dormant no problem (biggest leaf about 3/4 inch), and my multifida would probably be just fine without going dormant, but I don't have anywhere else to overwinter it so I force it to sleep and it comes back with a vengeance in the Spring.
By thepitchergrower
My small red form seedlings somehow fell off the seedling rack. Soil went everywhere. No more small red form... :x
By MikeB
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:18 pm Binata are one of those that are on fence. Do a little digging and you'll find people that swear up and down that binata NEED a dormancy. The very next page you find someone with an entire rack of binata that they say never go dormant.
The big question about Drosera binata is "What part of the plant's range is it from?" There are cold-hardy varieties from Tasmania and the mountains of southern Australia and New Zealand. Then there are subtropical varieties from northeastern Australia and the North Island of New Zealand. Unless you know the location, or the grower tells you how he/she keeps them, it's hard to say if that particular plant needs dormancy or not.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By ChefDean
MikeB wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:53 amThe big question about Drosera binata is "What part of the plant's range is it from?" There are cold-hardy varieties from Tasmania and the mountains of southern Australia and New Zealand. Then there are subtropical varieties from northeastern Australia and the North Island of New Zealand. Unless you know the location, or the grower tells you how he/she keeps them, it's hard to say if that particular plant needs dormancy or not.
True, but it's still in their genetics to be able to go dormant, even if they live in an area that doesn't normally offer optimal conditions to support it, and they've adapted to those conditions. Tropical forms of intermedia and filiformis come to mind, or even VFT's that have adapted to subtropical environs.
Those don't need a dormancy for long term health, but, given the odd cold spell, they will go to sleep instead of potentially die off due to the abnormally cold temps.
By TrapsAndDews
I thought that the multifidas didn't need dormancy and all the other varieties did.
By thepitchergrower
Multifida extremas come from a place where winter temperatures don't go to low. Maybe 60 degrees. They do actually go dormant.
By optique
I have had good luck with just putting the leafs in peat. The method i used was i poked a deep hole with a pencil folded the steam to fit, leaving the leaf at the media line.

found a old pic
MikeB liked this
By steve booth
Easiest way to propagate them, as your picture shows, is from root cuttings. Get one of the black roots as in your picture, cut it into 40mm or more pieces place in Sphagnum and viola, lots of plants. You had the plant there on the root and it would survive if planted with the root but wont on its own I'm afraid.
Cheers
Steve
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!