FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Wutihbe
i recently bought a venus flytrap and it was doing well until end of 2021. it started to not close and then it turned black slowly. please help any information would be very helpful
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 6184 times
By steve booth
A little more information would be helpful, do you keep it indoors under lights or outdoors, what watering regime do you use, what are your temperatures. It looks very green which is generally indicative of low light intensity.
If you are in the northern hemisphere it should be dormant which may explain what you are seeing.
Cheers
Steve
Wutihbe liked this
By ChefDean
Well, a few things.
First: That leaf is just at the end of its lifespan, and it looks like you may have another starting as well. That looks normal as the plant regains nutrients from an old leaf.
Second: If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, the plant is well on it's way to dormancy, or already dormant. The leaves won't close, or will close very slowly, while it's sleeping.
Last: That plant looks pretty light starved. After it wakes up in the Spring, and once the temps stay above freezing, put it outside in a spot that gets direct morning sunlight, at least four to six hours, and it will be fine.
Wutihbe liked this
By Wutihbe
steve booth wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 am A little more information would be helpful, do you keep it indoors under lights or outdoors, what watering regime do you use, what are your temperatures. It looks very green which is generally indicative of low light intensity.
If you are in the northern hemisphere it should be dormant which may explain what you are seeing.
Cheers
Steve
i kept the venus flytrap near a window which is around room temperature but its not that bright. i recently moved it to a place more sunnier. and idk if my venus flytrap is really dormant because i am living in singapore and its located in the northern hemisphere and eastern hemisphere.
By ChefDean
It's probably in some form of dormancy due to the change in photoperiod. However, it's also on a slow decline due to lack of light. Flytraps need direct, unfiltered sunlight or very strong artificial light. Glass filters sunlight, making it almost worthless to for them.
Your best chance at saving this plant is to get it outside in an area that gets direct morning light and indirect light the rest of the day.
By Wutihbe
well i put it under the sun and its now turning yellow. there are also ants coming by out of the bottom of the pot.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 6044 times
By steve booth
Are you in the northern hemisphere? When you say put it under the sun do you mean outside if so in full sunlight? what are your outdoor temperatures at the moment. Its difficult to advise without knowing the conditions.
The ants shouldn't be a problem if they do start to nest in it you can stand it, submerged in water for a day, that will get rid of them.
Cheers
Steve
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!