FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
I currently have a bunch of sarr seeds stratifying in my fridge. They have only been in there about a month so far and I am wondering if they will possibly germinate while in there or only once they get light and warmer temps?
By Ewreck
If they don’t germinate while in the fridge how did you know when exactly they were ready ?
By Panman
I only know from experimentation. I would recommend 8 to 10 weeks for most seeds. Longer for older seeds. My own flava seeds are the only ones that I ever got to sprout at 4 to 6 weeks.
By MikeB
Ewreck wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:46 pm If they don’t germinate while in the fridge how did you know when exactly they were ready ?
It isn't a matter of knowing "exactly". You shouldn't aim for just enough stratification to trigger germination; you should aim for a thorough stratification to ensure that the requirement is covered. Waiting a few extra weeks is "insurance".

For example: I have a batch of Sarracenia minor seeds in cold stratification outside. The weather here in eastern North Carolina cooled off in November and won't warm up until March. I could bring the pot inside to get a head start on germination, but if I time it wrong, then none of the seeds will sprout. No, thank you. I'd rather give them more stratification than necessary versus not enough.
Ewreck, Supercazzola liked this
Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!