FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
You have to keep trying until you get it right.*

*Your plants plants may or may not suffer casualties along the way.
Last edited by TrapsAndDews on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TrapsAndDews
Ok, I'm gonna give this another try. How do I keep my humidity high without cooking the gemmae? Also, should I sprinkle some sand on the gemmae?
By Panman
Mine are growing 6 inches from lights. The soil temperature stays around 75 to 80 degrees. I cover the entire pot in a plastic bag. I uncover it daily to check for problems and mist the soil to keep it damp if necessary. Once the plants have sprouted several leaves, I pull of the bag entirely. The key is to know how intense your lights are and what temperature they will cause inside the bag. Don't put anything on the gemmae, they need to be on the soil's surface.
By TrapsAndDews
I got my d. carbarup Tuesday evening. I didn't have a chance to look at them all day yesterday so I had them in the fridge. Today, I opened them up and noticed they have roots (at least they look like roots):
IMG_008.JPG
IMG_008.JPG (60.5 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
I know their roots are very sensitive, and if I break the roots, they're dead. So do I just carefully place them on the soil?

I also thought that @ChefDean kept them refrigerated. How did they sprout then?
By TrapsAndDews
Here's what I'll do for the pygmies:
  • 7 inch pot (part of a pop bottle)
  • Soil: 5:3:2, Peat:Silica:Perlite (about)
  • Light: 6 inches from a gooseneck grow light
  • Water: 3 inches of water
  • Humidity: plastic bag instead of plastic wrap (the bag won't heat up that much since it's bigger)
By Panman
TrapsAndDews wrote:I know their roots are very sensitive, and if I break the roots, they're dead. So do I just carefully place them on the soil?
I don't know that you have much of a choice.
TrapsAndDews wrote:I also thought that @ChefDean kept them refrigerated. How did they sprout then?
They have been in the mail for at least a few days and you left them out, unrefrigerated. I just received a pack of gemmae and planted them the same day. The next day, they are already sprouting.
By thepitchergrower
Yep, they either sprout, or detiorate quickly. Some of them just decide to turn brown, while other sprout. Maybe it's because it takes at least 5 days for the Gemmae to travel to CA??
By TrapsAndDews
Some of my gemmae are starting to look funny again. :( They are getting about 14 hours of light each day. I have them 6 inches away from the lights. I'm constantly making sure that the plastic bag the pot is in isn't overheating. I mist them every day. The soil is mostly sand and peat with some perlite. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is already my second time trying to sprout/germinate gemmae.
Last edited by TrapsAndDews on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!