FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By newgardener
Hi, I have recently got into carnivorous plants as a whole and started my collection with a VFT and a sundew. I have them placed on my front deck in a spot where it receives direct afternoon sun for roughly 4 - 5 hours but indirect sun for most of the day. I live in Queensland in Australia so its summer and we have regular days of 30+ C heat. I water using the tray method in a large 10 L pot which is mixed 50/50 perlite and peat moss. When I got the plant about 2 months ago it seemed to be thriving and it started flowering, I have read that it can survive the flowering process if its kept in the right conditions and as it was my first I decided to let it flower, it was doing great and threw out two flower stalks but as of the last week it has started to go downhill really quick. As you can see in the photos I took it has started to go yellow on the leaves and then eventually turn a very sad brown, this has happened to all of the lower leaf stocks and is now starting on the top ones. is this just the plant weakening from throwing flowers and it will bounce back or is this caused by poor plant care and incorrect conditions?
Attachments:
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG (2.87 MiB) Viewed 731 times
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 731 times
By ChefDean
Burmannii are considered annuals as they normally only last one season. You can feed them to keep them healthy and you night get two years, but rarely more than that. Because of this, they put up multiple flower stalks to produce seeds for the next batch of plants. Cutting the stalks just means you've blocked them from reproduction, not stopped their decline.
If they've started their decline, let them flower so you can get seed and grow a new batch. You will likely not be able to turn their decline around, but could slow it down enough to get a lot of seeds by feeding it. However, only feed dewy paddles. If it's not dewy, the food will just rot there, further accelerating the decline.
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!