FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
This is the same Nepenthes I posted about late December. It's a rescue from Lowes and I still don't know what kind of Nep it is. When I got it, it had fully green leaves with three of four pitchers dead. The 4th is now dead and I removed all but one to help preserve some energy. I keep the media moist which is sphagnum moss and perlite with orchid bark and charcoal on the bottom for proper drainage. When I repotted it, the roots were healthy and there's was no sign of fungus, mold or other issues. It's also under a grow light that's 13 inches above it that's getting roughly 5 - 6 hours of light daily. Lastly, I don't move the Nep and I spray it two or three times to keep the humidity up some bit just until I get a diffuser that was recommended by Sundew69. Now I noticed that the ends of the leaves and even the growth point is turning dark brown.

Is this because of some repotting and new environment stress that's affecting my Nep or am I doing something wrong with its care and environment? Also, is it bad that the growth point is turning dark brown and my Nep will die? I don't have any knowledge on stressed plants and any advice will be helpful!
Attachments:
new nep.jpg
new nep.jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
new nep pic 2.jpg
new nep pic 2.jpg (113.77 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
By Supercazzola
above each leaf, on the stem, should be a small bump. This is a dormant growth node. Under certain circumstances, these nodes can activate. So, for example, if your growth point got damaged and turns brown, one of these dormant nodes could start to activate, and a new vine could emerge from there.
By ChefDean
Neps take months to recover. You got it in December, after the store got it in December, maybe November.
It will be slow, the pitchers will die, but just keep the media moist and hang it in front of a window and it will probably be fine. In Spring, when the nighttime temps stay above 50°F, hang it outside in a spot that only gets indirect light, direct early morning sunlight at best.
By septembersapphire21
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:07 pm above each leaf, on the stem, should be a small bump. This is a dormant growth node. Under certain circumstances, these nodes can activate. So, for example, if your growth point got damaged and turns brown, one of these dormant nodes could start to activate, and a new vine could emerge from there.
That makes sense, and I never knew the stems actually have dormant growth nodes. With the growth point, it's hard to tell if its just a single growth point or its making a new vine. Thankfully, there is green on it so its not fully dead.
Supercazzola liked this
By septembersapphire21
ChefDean wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:14 pm Neps take months to recover. You got it in December, after the store got it in December, maybe November.
It will be slow, the pitchers will die, but just keep the media moist and hang it in front of a window and it will probably be fine. In Spring, when the nighttime temps stay above 50°F, hang it outside in a spot that only gets indirect light, direct early morning sunlight at best.
I noticed the recovery period on my Nep Ventrata was slow when I got it. It was last year in April and it was super small, no pitchers at all. It lost only one leaf but by the end of June it grew bigger and now it must be over 10 inches (I didn't measured it for a while) and being able to grow pitchers. With what you said I'll put it at my east facing bay window and keep monitor its progress. Winter is my favorite season, but I hope spring will be here soon, this weather is really tough on my plants. However, my VFTs don't care, their napping through it all :lol:

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!