FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
Below is the link to Garden Safe Fungicide that I mentioned after buying it because the temps had been going down to below 40 degrees. For a week or so, the temps will be colder even in the night at around 19-26 degrees. I wanna try using this spray to prevent the possibility of mold in my VFTs media which knock on wood hasn't happened yet. I've also put pieces of mulch on the top layer with a blanket wrapped around the pots of my VFTs for insulation.

Now to use this spray, do I dilute in water and if so, how much water I need to dilute it? And instead of diluting it, can I just spray the sphagnum moss gently with it? The fungicide is made with 0.9% of neem oil and the remaining 99.9% is made with other ingredients. I don't want to do the wrong thing and accidently burning my flytraps. Any advice is helpful!

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Safe-Fung ... B000HHO110
By Savethetrees4life
It says cover all plant tissue and it’s gotta be reasonably well measured already given the packaging. But to be safe you could use latex type gloves and a separate new spray bottle and dilute to a 50% level with water or you could try it on one victim and see if it’s good or bad.
By Supercazzola
Caution. Since it doesn't specifically state the ingredients, you may be sorry if you use it. I think copper and sulfur are both natural, but copper fungicide will kill carnivorous plants, sulfur-based one like Captan (which I said you should get) will not harm the plants.
Unless you can get the info from the manufacturer and ask specifically if this product contains copper, you should look for a different solution.
By septembersapphire21
Savethetrees4life wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:57 pm It says cover all plant tissue and it’s gotta be reasonably well measured already given the packaging. But to be safe you could use latex type gloves and a separate new spray bottle and dilute to a 50% level with water or you could try it on one victim and see if it’s good or bad.
I can do the 50% dilution then. Thanks!
By septembersapphire21
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:35 am Caution. Since it doesn't specifically state the ingredients, you may be sorry if you use it. I think copper and sulfur are both natural, but copper fungicide will kill carnivorous plants, sulfur-based one like Captan (which I said you should get) will not harm the plants.
Unless you can get the info from the manufacturer and ask specifically if this product contains copper, you should look for a different solution.
I hope it doesn't contain copper, it would be ok for my lemon balm though. I can try to find the ingredient information or even call the company. The Captan is a little too expensive for me to get and I never see it at Lowes or Home Depot. If it comes down to it I'll buy the Bioadvanced 3 and 1 that every CP grower uses instead. Thanks!
By Supercazzola
You should ask yourself if the value of your plants is worth the cost of the fungicide? I look at it this way, if you do have a pathogen and it spreads because you used a cheap or non-effective product, you run the risk of losing your entire collection. Even if that collection is two plants, which total in $20, is it worth it ?

I am not sure of your age or experience with the hobby, so I am not trying to imply you are doing something wrong.

But the product you bought on Amazon is between $10 and $15 depending on the seller. Captain is $20.

So is the $10 difference worth the possibility of losing your current plant (and future plants) over? Think about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YHB4HW/re ... 0M3WBQ300N
By septembersapphire21
Supercazzola wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:26 pm You should ask yourself if the value of your plants is worth the cost of the fungicide? I look at it this way, if you do have a pathogen and it spreads because you used a cheap or non-effective product, you run the risk of losing your entire collection. Even if that collection is two plants, which total in $20, is it worth it ?

I am not sure of your age or experience with the hobby, so I am not trying to imply you are doing something wrong.

But the product you bought on Amazon is between $10 and $15 depending on the seller. Captain is $20.

So is the $10 difference worth the possibility of losing your current plant (and future plants) over? Think about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YHB4HW/re ... 0M3WBQ300N
I totally get what your saying! So far there's no issues with my VFTs or their media, but since I learned that it's more common for them to get fungus issues during winter than summer, I'm preparing just in case if it does happen. I value my plants more than the cost because if I had an issue I want something to work effectively, even if it means I have to get something that might be somewhat expensive. But with it being expensive I know I'm getting a fungicide that's going to do what its made to do, and the price of it can be worth it.

With my experience, I'm in the basic/intermediate level, and I'm 22. This is my first time having VFTs in dormancy, knock on wood, they are doing good and actually gotten more redder inside the mouths with nicer size traps. They are typicals btw.

I bought the 3 in 1 spray from my local Lowes in late November, I believe it was under $10 or $12.

I also did e-mail the company about the 3 in 1 spray and what ingredients is in it, so I'm waiting on their response. If they say there's certain ingredients in the fungicide that can be dangerous for my VFTs, then I won't use it and try to get the Captan brand. Tbh, I really didn't know it would be around $20, that's something I can definitely afford. I just never saw it being sold in my local hardware stores.
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!