FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
These plants look almost identical to me. What are the differences between the two? Are their growing conditions similar, or is one harder to grow? (If you have any pictures or comparisons of the plants, I would appreciate them)
By DeadlyCarnivore
Burmannii is more squared at the ends of the leaves, fatter and more squared. From what I know, burmannii require LOTS of feeding as seedlings, and LOTS of feeding when they flower. Other than that, super easy to grow? I think?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Supercazzola
I wasn’t aware that any of the carnivorous plants require feeding. I thought their primary source of energy is sunlight and that was what they converted into starch / energy. Bugs just supplement them. So when you say they require lots of feeding, what happens if you don’t ? Do the plants die ?
By ChefDean
They are related and very similar, but there are a few general differences. Nothing that will jump out at you, but the biggest difference is the leaf shape and flower scape. They both form small, tight rosettes, but the burmannii tend to be lower to the ground with squared off corners vs the more rounded corners and slightly taller rosette of the sessilifolia. The scape of the burmannii usually has a bend at the base, horizontal bending to vertical, and the sessilifolia is almost always (99.9999% of the time) vertical; no bend.
Other general, not always, differences.
B. 1 to 3 cm across as adults, S. 1 to 2 cm.
B. Generally white flowers, S. Almost always pink flowers.
B. Usually longer snap tentacles than S.

As to feeding: They're both considered annuals. Left to their own devices, they'll germinate, grow, and flower themselves to death in one season (4-12 months), producing billions and billions of seeds in the process. They don't need us to feed them. However, with supplemental feeding, they'll both grow faster and stay alive longer.
With decent care and feeding, you can keep them alive for a couple of years. With great care, optimal conditions, perfect husbandry, they'll stay alive longer, but will generally look and be increasingly unhealthy as time goes on. It's easier and less work to simply sow some fresh seeds to grow new plants and let the old one pass.
thepitchergrower liked this
By Apollyon
They're like most carnivorous plants. They require a source of energy to really *grow* well. When they flower, if they aren't supplemented, they have a tendency to die off. I have a "Perlata" currently that was fed enough to have about 25 flowers on its stalk but the plant is gradually shrinking. At this point it seems like the plant is providing enough energy to the structure just to stay in the game long enough. I'm feeding it to see if it will return to its shape after it flowers; it's possible. If not, I'll just sow the seeds that ripen nbd.

Think Dean described it best. You can do all that but it's easier to propagate the plant by letting nature take its course. I don't feed it any more than the rest of them. My personal plants have had ups and downs and have survived flowering to get hit with something else later on :lol: With annuals like this, my goal is always to get them through flowering and have a return greater than what I had in seed count to make sure I can keep the plant.
By Nepenthes0260
99% of the D. sessilifolia in cultivation are actually mislabeled D. burmannii. Sess is endemic to South America, while burmannii is mainly found in Australia and surrounding areas. To add to the confusion, Ivan Snyder made sessilifolia x burmannii which look nearly identical to burmannii. Personally, I don’t think there’s enough of a difference to justify a separate species and that burmannii just has a very disjunct geographical range.
ChefDean liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I don't know if this just me, but the tentacles of D. Burmannii, from photos, seem less red than D. Sessilifolia.

Are the seeds of D. Sessilifolia correctly labled in the seed bank (since @Nepenthes0260 said 99% are mislabeled in cultivation)? These plants both grow in similar conditions?
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 pm I don't know if this just me, but the tentacles of D. Burmannii, from photos, seem less red than D. Sessilifolia.
There will be minor differences due to local environments/genes expressed. Google pics of both and you'll see all green to deep red of both.
TrapsandDews wrote:Are the seeds of D. Sessilifolia correctly labled in the seed bank (since @Nepenthes0260 said 99% are mislabeled in cultivation)? These plants both grow in similar conditions?
The sessilifolia we have look to be from three different sources, the oldest being 2018, the newest, from Aquis31, are from August of 2021. The newest, Aquis31, lives in Brazil, so I'd put high confidence of them being legit. I don't know the source of the oldest, and can't remember the source of the last set, but I'm fairly confident they're as advertised.
However, whoever next requests sessilifolia will get the 2018 seeds and be able to show pics to verify.

Edit: Marmotamonax also donated sessilifolia, harvested August 2021. Despite him being a relatively new member, I have no reason to think that these aren't sessilifolia, but whoever requests them will find out.
By Nepenthes0260
I don't believe any of the sessilifolia I have grown in the past were the real deal, but it's likely they'd have similar cultivation requirements considering how closely related the taxon are. They'd definitely do fine in 3" pots-- I usually plant my burmannii in only 1" or 2" ones :lol:
By Nepenthes0260
From the pics I've seen of both in-situ, sessilifolia appears to have slightly narrower leaves, a more compact growth habit, and blood red tentacles that stand out on yellow/green leaves (although color could easily change with lighting conditions).
By Aquis31
In my humble experience and opinion, I have found that Sessilifolias are more compact and rounded than most Burmannis, in addition to producing a smaller flower stalk with fewer quantities (Approximately 6 to 7 flower buds). The seeds I sent to the bank came from these Sessilifolias.
Attachments:
Sessilifolia
Sessilifolia
P_20200824_185717_vHDR_On.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 2216 times
Sessilifolia
Sessilifolia
P_20200824_185717_vHDR_On_1.jpg (658.04 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
By Nepenthes0260
Aquis31 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:14 am In my humble experience and opinion, I have found that Sessilifolias are more compact and rounded than most Burmannis, in addition to producing a smaller flower stalk with fewer quantities (Approximately 6 to 7 flower buds). The seeds I sent to the bank came from these Sessilifolias.
Wow, beautiful plants! Those ones do indeed look like the taxon considered “sessilifolia”. Although the more digging I do the more convinced I become that sessilifolia = burmannii…
Aquis31 liked this

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!