FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all! I've got two little pinguicula cyclosecta that I've had for a few months now that I keep under my Yescom 225 growlight for 12-14 hours a day. I keep the pot they're in in a small tray of water that I refill once it goes dry.

Today I noticed that most of the leaves seem to be succulent ones now, so I'm guessing it went dormant? I haven't changed the hours of the grow light at all, and I haven't really changed the watering. Do I need to do anything different to care for them now? Should I take them out of the grow light and put them near a window instead, and stop watering for all of winter?

By Nepenthes0260
Most pings commonly grown in cultivation don’t have a true dormancy but make smaller, succulent rosettes in the (typically) cool dry season. Keep them drier than you would in their carnivorous summer phase or they’ll easily rot. This is also the time of the year when most ping blooming occurs.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:06 am Most pings commonly grown in cultivation don’t have a true dormancy but make smaller, succulent rosettes in the (typically) cool dry season. Keep them drier than you would in their carnivorous summer phase or they’ll easily rot. This is also the time of the year when most ping blooming occurs.
I see! I was doing research like crazy on ping dormancy but never really found any concrete information on it, just that they DO sometimes go dormant, haha.

Do I just keep the soil a little bit moist then by putting just a little water in their water tray? Do I need to alter their light cycle at all, or nah?
By Nepenthes0260
Nikson wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:06 am Most pings commonly grown in cultivation don’t have a true dormancy but make smaller, succulent rosettes in the (typically) cool dry season. Keep them drier than you would in their carnivorous summer phase or they’ll easily rot. This is also the time of the year when most ping blooming occurs.
I see! I was doing research like crazy on ping dormancy but never really found any concrete information on it, just that they DO sometimes go dormant, haha.

Do I just keep the soil a little bit moist then by putting just a little water in their water tray? Do I need to alter their light cycle at all, or nah?
Yes, keep the soil just a little moist. If they've been established in there for a few months, don't be afraid to dry out the pot quite a bit. Reducing the photoperiod wouldn't hurt either.
Nikson liked this
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!