FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
well, I played around with Miracle Grow. Here's the Sarr. Flava Seedling that I got from MaxVft. I fertilized with a solution of miracle grow and fish food, into the pitchers. Since then, it decided to double it's pitcher size.
Attachments:
PXL_20211231_155731811.jpg
PXL_20211231_155731811.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
By MaxVft
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:10 pm well, I played around with Miracle Grow. Here's the Sarr. Flava Seedling that I got from MaxVft. I fertilized with a solution of miracle grow and fish food, into the pitchers. Since then, it decided to double it's pitcher size.
That looks like the first carnivorous/mature pitcher your sarr is producing. This is called a "leaf jump", and they occur every few months or so.
My Flava seedlings from the same batch as yours have also just leaf jumped, e.g.:
20211231_092702.jpg
20211231_092702.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 7439 times
The miracle-gro may be helping, but I'd doubt it, especially because its meant for things like veggies and flowers to go in the roots, and most of the minerals in it are nit useful for a sarr.
The fish food, on the other hand, often gives cps a little "boost" of growth, making them grow faster for a little bit after each dose.

The sarr in the pic above is the same age as yours and is leaf jumping, yet it has never been fed nor fertilized in its life, just a lot of good light.

That's just my opinion, though. I have never used miracle-gro on cps before, so I don't exactly have a say in this either. Just using what I've heard and read.
Supercazzola liked this
By thepitchergrower
The thing is that we have been having very bad lighting for the last few weeks. 100% cloudy. And I don't have growlights. The seedlings were doing nothing before fertilization. They started to grow after fertilization. I also fertilized some of the seedlings that carnies gave me, similar results.
By MaxVft
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:04 pm The thing is that we have been having very bad lighting for the last few weeks. 100% cloudy. And I don't have growlights. The seedlings were doing nothing before fertilization. They started to grow after fertilization. I also fertilized some of the seedlings that carnies gave me, similar results.
A few weeks of low lighting usually doesn't do anything to affect growth. My seedlings have been doing the same thing, barely any growth all year until a month or 2 ago. The reason behind this is because sarrs, especially seedlings, go through several months of shipping shock and barely grow until they are well established.
By MikeB
I know someone in western North Carolina who grows large amounts of Venus flytraps with Miracle-Gro fertilizer (standard water-soluble, all-purpose plant food version, 24-8-16) diluted to 1/4 strength. The plants are happy with it. Like all fertilizer on carnivorous plants, it's important to dilute the mix and use it in moderation to avoid poisoning them.

Juvenile Sarracenia plants actually appreciate getting some fertilizer in their soil. Here is an ICPS article about it. I "juice" my seedlings once a month during the growing season to encourage them to put on some size.
By thepitchergrower
MikeB wrote:I know someone in western North Carolina who grows large amounts of Venus flytraps with Miracle-Gro fertilizer (standard water-soluble, all-purpose plant food version, 24-8-16) diluted to 1/4 strength. The plants are happy with it. Like all fertilizer on carnivorous plants, it's important to dilute the mix and use it in moderation to avoid poisoning them.

Juvenile Sarracenia plants actually appreciate getting some fertilizer in their soil. Here is an ICPS article about it. I "juice" my seedlings once a month during the growing season to encourage them to put on some size.
I use both pitcher and tray fertilization. I stopped tray fertilization mostly because it creates a lot of algae... :roll:

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!