FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Dragonslayer126
Cross wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:06 am
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Dragonslayer126 wrote: I would get one but it's 40$ just for one or usually out of stock
Yeah... Cultivars can tend to get expensive. I personally feel it is worth it though, if you know you cam grow them!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
That there is the reason I don't have a darlington or a super fancy nep. I do have a beautiful cross from HollyHock. The tag has faded some. But it's an alata x talangensis. It's got a ostensibly like camo. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I think darlingtonia are way worth it though and baby ones are like 30$
By DeadlyCarnivore
Cross wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Dragonslayer126 wrote: I would get one but it's 40$ just for one or usually out of stock
Yeah... Cultivars can tend to get expensive. I personally feel it is worth it though, if you know you cam grow them!

That there is the reason I don't have a darlington or a super fancy nep. I do have a beautiful cross from HollyHock. The tag has faded some. But it's an alata x talangensis. It's got a ostensibly like camo. ImageImage

That is a really nice nep! I finally caved and got a Ceph. Its been doing good so far. what makes you think you cant grow a Darlington?

By Apollyon
I'd have to go with Trev's Dacula, FTS Archangel, SD Kronos, Alien and Fused Tooth (man thats an ugly plant in the pictures). My alien kinda sucks but I think its time to shine will be next season. It was a sad little TC plant over a year ago and got hit with a pest last season :( Honestly though, it seems to grow a lot slower than it's other mutated counterparts in general.

Welcome to the ceph club! Those little guys are my favorite. Mine are bravely facing the elements right now on an impulse decision I made that I hopefully do not regret. Darlingtonia is like D. Regia, they'll grow fine under 80 degrees but it gets harder once it breaks that threshold. I've been growing mine under lights and will harden it off for winter temps to get its dormancy in. If you can grow it indoors it won't be too hard if you want one.
By DesertPat
MikeB wrote: Why would you say it's unpopular? SD Kronos is a fine cultivar: hardy, vigorous, colorful, large traps. I managed to get 3 of them this year, and they're doing great.
Just because no one really ever talks about it that I see. I'm not belittling it at all, I just think it flies under the radar and is a very underrated cultivar.

Patrick
MaxVft, MikeB liked this
By DesertPat
Another cultivar that I forgot to mention which I think looks very cool, though I've never grown it myself, is long red fingers. It looks like fuses tooth on steroids, though I believe it doesn't always produce its fused teeth.

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

By Dragonslayer126
DeadlyCarnivore wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:09 pm Alien, all the way! I have wanted an Alien cultivar for years, but I have never tried to get one because I cannot grow flytraps for the life of me.

Well, I got an alien now, but it's PRETTY small. I just hope that I don't kill it because it was 40$...
By Cross
I was like that when I got my trev's. Thankfully, rarity does not dictate difficulty.

By Dragonslayer126
Cross wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:57 am I was like that when I got my trev's. Thankfully, rarity does not dictate difficulty.

are you talking to me about the alien? I'm just scared because all my venus flytraps are black, but I think that it's just winter.
By Cross
Dragonslayer126 wrote:
Cross wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:57 am I was like that when I got my trev's. Thankfully, rarity does not dictate difficulty.

are you talking to me about the alien? I'm just scared because all my venus flytraps are black, but I think that it's just winter.
Oh, I was worried about killing it. Where did you get it from? It's probably in dormancy, which could be why it seems so small.

By Dragonslayer126
Cross wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:24 am
Dragonslayer126 wrote:

Oh, I was worried about killing it. Where did you get it from? It's probably in dormancy, which could be why it seems so small.

I got it from California carnivores since it was out of stock on flytrapstore
By Cross
Oh yeah, definitely. It's dormant. It's going to appear much smaller. Though, I'll give you my experience. I bought a purple ambush from them. It was supposed to be a young adult sized plant. It was the size of a penny when I got it. But it was in dormancy. It shot right up in spring. It'll grow up. For now, just keep on with dormancy care and you won't have to worry about the size.

By Dragonslayer126
Cross wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:42 am Oh yeah, definitely. It's dormant. It's going to appear much smaller. Though, I'll give you my experience. I bought a purple ambush from them. It was supposed to be a young adult sized plant. It was the size of a penny when I got it. But it was in dormancy. It shot right up in spring. It'll grow up. For now, just keep on with dormancy care and you won't have to worry about the size.

Also should I use the tray method or should I keep top watering?
By Cross
Dragonslayer126 wrote:
Cross wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:42 am Oh yeah, definitely. It's dormant. It's going to appear much smaller. Though, I'll give you my experience. I bought a purple ambush from them. It was supposed to be a young adult sized plant. It was the size of a penny when I got it. But it was in dormancy. It shot right up in spring. It'll grow up. For now, just keep on with dormancy care and you won't have to worry about the size.

Also should I use the tray method or should I keep top watering?
Tray. I, personally, avoid top watering.

By Savethetrees4life
Scarletine is the most colorful of all imo. I also agree that alien seems to grow relatively slow. None of these are dormant they’re just young.
Attachments:
1357DBF3-AF9D-45F1-BF65-B194C0559039.jpeg
1357DBF3-AF9D-45F1-BF65-B194C0559039.jpeg (3.96 MiB) Viewed 2825 times
Panman liked this
By Panman
Savethetrees4life wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:18 pm Scarletine is the most colorful of all imo. I also agree that alien seems to grow relatively slow. None of these are dormant they’re just young.
Scarletine is on the top of my next-to-acquire list.
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!