FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By optique
One of my first was a sanguinea and it grew like a weed for me. So i picked up some sanguinea hybrids hoping they would grow well and be unique. I have enjoyed them and I just hang them up in the back yard they turn a lot of heads.

ImageImage

ImageImage
By NightRaider
Yeah I must've been typing at the time and missed it. I'm gonna be honest, I haven't even been able to find out what the difference is with 'Victoria'. And believe me, I've tried. The ceph is still much too small to take cuttings of or I already would've, but I do have a few drosera cuttings/seedlings already rooted (filiformis, prolifera, rotundfolia, Nightmare, tokaiensis, spat "Tamlin"), and I can take fresh cuttings of most of what I don't. I don't deal with pings much so I haven't tried rooting one yet, so if you can root one then I'd be down for a trade of that and whatever drosera you have that aren't on my list. Feel free to PM me about this if need be.
Honestly I hadn't heard of D. montana var. Schwackei before now, just the former var. tomentosa, but best I can tell BCP is basically the only place that has it, and that comes with a lot of fees and possibly some paperwork to import. I've been planning on trying to find a group order from them or Wistuba next year for that reason. I'd imagine it'd be similar requirements to the rest of the SA drosera though, Tomentosa especially, if you ever could manage to find one.
Sundews69 liked this
By specialkayme
Personally I wouldn't mess around with a swamp cooler or other mechanism at this stage. I would just focus on plants you like that appear to grow in the conditions you have. I found there is a significantly larger variety of nepenthes that grow in intermediate conditions than what people originally let on.

I grow all my plants in my bedroom with a humidifier. Typically gets to 70 degrees in the day during the winter, down to 60 degrees at night (but usually only 64 or so). Summer days get up to 78 degrees, and nights up to 74 degrees. During spring and fall I'll open a window to help get a bigger temp drop at night. But that's about it.

So far, in those conditions, the following plants have grown well for at least six months:
N. sanguinea
N. petiolata x vogelii
N. burkei x hamata
N. veitchii
N. veitchii x adrianii
N. edwardsiana x maxima
N. hamata 'Lumut'
N. burbidgeae x (veitchii x lowii)
N. alata (variegated)
N. hamata x edwardsiana
N. vogelii

In addition, I have some other ampullaria, veitchii, edwardsiana, and hamata mixes that seem to be doing fine over the past 1-5 months.

I had a bical that pitched a fit and kicked the bucket.

Some grow faster than others, and are obviously happier than others. But I haven't needed a cooler or special growing chamber for any of them.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
bro, how are you growing a hamata and a hamata x edwardsiana with nighttime temps around 74F?! I have been wanting to get a vogelii. Are they finicky or are they fairly easy to grow and vigorous?
By specialkayme
Sundews69 wrote:bro, how are you growing a hamata and a hamata x edwardsiana with nighttime temps around 74F?
:?:

To clarify, my nightime temps only get up to 74 degrees for a few weeks during the summer. That's the peak. They don't stay up there for extended weeks or months. When nighttime temps get up that high, daytime temps also can peak around 78 or 80. The drop in nighttime temps may matter more than what the temps are, but who knows. I also don't have decades of growth data to compare. One hamata has been growing for me under these conditions since April, and the hamata x edwardsiana since May. I got another hamata and an edwardsiana about a month ago, since the other two have been doing fine for over 6 months. All of them seem to do better when the cold(er) weather rolls around, and seemed to simply maintain their presence in the July-August time frame.

Who knows, they could all kick the bucket in a year or so. But so far they're all pitchering and growing fine. My current assessment, especially after hearing many others that grow hamata and edwardsiana in less than ideal conditions, is that the rumors of hamata's "ultra-highland pickiness" attitude is a little inflated. But again, who knows.
Sundews69 wrote:I have been wanting to get a vogelii. Are they finicky or are they fairly easy to grow and vigorous?
Vogelii's nickname is "slowgelii." It is generally an easy plant to grow, but it has been very slow to put off new leaves and pitchers. Although what it has appears to be healthy and vigorous. Take that for what you will.

The sanguinea grows like a weed. Literally. Can't hold that thing back under any condition.
The edwardsiana x maxima, ampullaria, Dyeriana, and alata are very steady growers.
The burkei x hamata, petiolata x vogelii, and most of the veitchii and veitchii crosses are slow and steady growers (who occasionally pout and pitch a fit if you repot them or change their growing conditions).
The hamata, BVL, and vogelii are on the slow/sluggish side.

All, at least, under my growing conditions, and the particular cultivars I have. Everyone elses' mileage may vary.

But that's kinda the point. What grows well for me won't for someone else. Ampullaria works fine for me, but bical won't. Hamata's and veitchii's work slow and steady, but for someone else may take off like a rocket or die on the spot. Where do you fall? No one knows. And it can be an expensive lesson to jump in and find out. Which is why you're better off finding a forgiving plant. Keep it alive, keep it pitchering, keep it growing. Then, when you've found out the conditions are conducive to nepenthes in general, branch out a little. I started with sanguinea, then 8 months later tried something a little more challenging (petiolata x vogelii), then 11 months after that (19 months total) tried something a little further out of the wheelhouse (edwardsiana x maxima), THEN 4 months after that (23 months total) rolled the dice with something even more challenging (hamata). I didn't jump into a hamata to start. I had 2 years of experience keeping nepenthes alive, testing the boundaries of what is likely to do well.
By Sundews69
Does vogelii grow as slow lowii? I'll start with growing a sanguinea or a ventricosa x tentaculata, then I'm thinking (in like 6 months) a ramispina x reinwardtiana because the hybrids range is 450-2200 meters, then after I know my windowsill is ok for neps, I'll get either a platychila, vogelii, eymae, or hybrids between the three.
By specialkayme
Sundews69 wrote:Does vogelii grow as slow lowii?
Don't know, never grew a lowii. Only the BVL.
Sundews69 wrote:I'll start with growing a sanguinea or a ventricosa x tentaculata, then I'm thinking (in like 6 months) a ramispina x reinwardtiana because the hybrids range is 450-2200 meters, then after I know my windowsill is ok for neps, I'll get either a platychila, vogelii, eymae, or hybrids between the three.
Sounds like a good plan!
Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!