FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Astral_Revenant
Does anyone know of the largest variant of forked sundew? The ones that grow in Australia. I thought the biggest was the binata? Not sure. Thank you & have a nice day! 8-)
By TrapsAndDews
The scientific name of a Fork-leaved Sundew is drosera binata. However, this species has different varieties. D. binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' is the largest Fork-leaved Sundew. I believe D. binata var. multifida "extrema" has the largest number of terminal leaf points.
By TrapsAndDews
I've never had a binata, but I've done lots of reading and multiple sources say that D. binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' is the largest sundew. (just so you know)
By MaxVft
It all depends. The var. Dichotoma is a nice plant, but it's still a Binata. If you want a bit more chance, buy a seedgrown D. Binata and see what happens :D
By thepitchergrower
Drosera Binata var. Multifida f. extrema. Largest form of Binata, with the longest name accordingly. It can have 77 forks in the wild, maybe 30-40 in cultivation usually.
tommyr liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I can't seem to figure out the difference between D. binata (typical), D binata "T- Form", and D. binata "Upright Form".
By Nepenthes0260
The longest leaves of D. binata belong to var. Dichotoma, and I've seen photos of them in-situ with petioles over three feet long. When they get this long they're usually growing amidst dense vegetation, hence the extremely elongated/etiolated petioles. I believe this taxon is informally recognized as "f. pedata", as there are a number of other different looking plants that still fall into the "var. Dichotoma" taxon. D. binata var. multifida f. extrema can have the most forks per leaf as stated above.
elaineo liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!