FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
Apollyon wrote:When it comes to keeping them alive, I've had them all growing in similar conditions with no trouble really. It's the dormancy that can cause grief.
I thought they don't need dormancy. Can you grow them indoors?
By Apollyon
TrapsAndDews wrote:
Apollyon wrote:When it comes to keeping them alive, I've had them all growing in similar conditions with no trouble really. It's the dormancy that can cause grief.
I thought they don't need dormancy. Can you grow them indoors?
They don't need it but if some variables change like photoperiod and water levels, it may trigger a dormancy. I grow mine indoors with higher humidity personally but there are others who grow them much better. Think this year I'll have better luck with them.
By TrapsAndDews
I don't know how to explain it. It's a piece tissue that basically grows into another plant. Think of when a starfish loses one of it's legs. The leg grows into a starfish. The process is known as fragmentation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_(botany)
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:17 am I don't know how to explain it. It's a piece tissue that basically grows into another plant. Think of when a starfish loses one of it's legs. The leg grows into a starfish. The process is known as fragmentation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_(botany)
Good description.
Best way I've heard is that it's simply a modified leaf that will readily grow into a new plant.
By A Fellow Scientist
ChefDean wrote:Good description.
Will they last into January? I think there's a rule against it, but would it be possible to get a "cash advance" for the January request for these gemmae, Chef? Figured I'd ask just in case :mrgreen: .
By ChefDean
A Fellow Scientist wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 amWill they last into January? I think there's a rule against it, but would it be possible to get a "cash advance" for the January request for these gemmae, Chef? Figured I'd ask just in case :mrgreen: .
As to viability, yes. As long as they stay moist and cold, they'll be viable until mid January, maybe the end of January. One of the bigger problems that I'll watch for is mold. If I start seeing spots on the paper towels they're wrapped in I may have to sow them myself.
As to availability, it looks like the micrantha might be gone before January, so who knows.
Sorry, no early requests.
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:27 am @Chefdean Lucky...Now all you have to do is hope for some mold spores, and they are yours!
Not so lucky, my indoor/overwintering space is limited. Plus, if I do sow any, whatever plants grow will be be given away next Spring.
By thepitchergrower
And how do you plan to give them away? From my understanding they have a fragile root system, and if uprooted, and that root is broken, the plant will die. Maybe you can keep them after all...
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Not so lucky, my indoor/overwintering space is limited.
I know how you can get more space. You can giveaway ALL your plants. 8-) (just kidding)
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:00 am And how do you plan to give them away? From my understanding they have a fragile root system, and if uprooted, and that root is broken, the plant will die. Maybe you can keep them after all...
He could ship them potted.
sundewd liked this
By thepitchergrower
1. People generally plant multiple gemmae per pot, so it would be difficult to seperate them out into individual pots. Then again, he could ship all the plants to one person.
2. Shipping potted costs a lot of money. Shipping can be based on weight, so unless you use flat rate.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!