FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bill Phoenix
While I wait to see if my cape sundew seeds to will grow, I want to see if there is any other extremely easy sundew to grow from seeds, possibly even to flowering size quickly.
Any suggestions? :D
By Carnies
Capensis will be a good one to start with, spathulata might be a good one to try too. I've had some of the spats flower in around 3 months with good conditions.
By Shadowtski
Drosera capensis likes temperatures a little on the cool side but household temperatures year round are fine.
Drosera spatulata prefers a little more warmth to really thrive but also does fine with room temperatures.
Drosera burmannii is another quick growing tropical Sundew but does its best at warmer temperatures. It will do OK at room temperatures though.
Just my 02¢ worth.
optique liked this
By Adelae
Tokaiensis also grew to flowering size in a few months for me, then they never stopped flowering and now I have them in all the neighboring pots too. They take after spatulata that way.
By ChefDean
Any of those mentioned above would be a rewarding exploit for a new grower. The most difficult (in my experience), but still relatively simple, would be the burmannii. You would want warmer temps for those for sure.
However, all that being said, any of these seeds will be just fine requested as you can, then toss them in the fridge until you're ready to sow them/you feel conditions are most supportive of an easier germination.
By davinstewart
For Zone 9a you should have some native sundews you can grow easily outside. According to http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq7400.html these are ...

D. brevifolia
D. capillaris
D. intermedia

You can probably grow others outside but I'd start there.
By Cosmickitty
I’m terrible at geography, league city is galvestonish right? So I’m guessing temps near mine winter lows around 40, summers stupidly humid but mostly in the 90s? I’m worried about planting anything till spring in case we get another freak freeze, so I’d suggest holding off for now but you should be able to grow anything that doesn’t need a freeze period…. Which I don’t think any cp actually need that I’ve read. (But don’t trust me, I’m not an expert)
By NightRaider
I don't know that many require a freeze specifically as long as you get a couple months or so below 50 for cold-temperates (except maybe D. linearis but they're extremely rare anyway), but there are some that will suffer and either die or go dormant in high summer temperatures (85-90F+). I can't speak from personal experience here but I've seen mention of this with D. rotundifolia, P. grandiflora, etc. Personal recommendations from me though for outdoors plants in 9a would be the US (more specifically FL) natives: D. brevifolia, capillaris, tracyii, and filiformis 'red' (var. floridana).

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!