FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By JustAHobbyist
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and still relatively new to growing flytraps.

I've had a King Henry for the past few months that has been growing very vigorously. Soon after receiving it, it began producing a division at the oldest point on its rhizome, which I believe is the typical point from which divisions arise.
What has me puzzled is the sudden appearance of new growths directly on some of the youngest shoots of the rhizome. They began appearing over the past few days, and from what I can see, there's at least 4 of these new structures (I assume they're axillary buds). It seems pretty clear that they'll eventually develop into new shoots.

I'm curious if anyone might know exactly what these growths are, and how/why they're growing on such new areas of the rhizome? These amazing plants continue fascinating me, and it's clear I've got a lot more to learn.
IMG_5510.jpeg
IMG_5510.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2852 times
By MaxVft
Welcome to the forums!
What you are seeing here is a rhizome plantlet. These are baby sized growths that come from chunks of rhizome. It will mature and will become a fully-grown division in only a few months. Congrats on your new plant!
JustAHobbyist liked this
By JustAHobbyist
MaxVft wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 am Welcome to the forums!
What you are seeing here is a rhizome plantlet. These are baby sized growths that come from chunks of rhizome. It will mature and will become a fully-grown division in only a few months. Congrats on your new plant!
That’s interesting (and exciting)! I wasn’t aware that the plant would produce new divisions from those points without being provoked via pullings. I’m assuming these will eventually form their own independent root systems?
By TrapsAndDews
I never really paid attention to what goes on with the rhizome. I just saw new growth points popping up.

Yes, divisions grow their own root systems. When you repot your plant, if the division can survive on it's own, it will just fall off your plant. However, if the division is still attached to your plant, don't bother it. Wait until next time.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!