FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

Should I re-start Sarracenia's fridge dormancy, after it has been in room temperature for 5 hours?

Re-start fridge dormancy
100%
Stop dormancy, lasted 5,5 weeks
No votes
0%
By Sarri
Hello, my first ever question on this forum: I've kept my Sarracenia in the fridge now for 5,5 weeks, but I had to defrost my fridge-freezer today as it had iced up so badly over the last few months. This was probably the main reason for my Sarracenia (purpurea?) also accumulating frost in its roots and maybe in a third of the pitchers as well in the last couple of weeks. It's a shame I didn't take a photo of the frosted Sarracenia.

Prior to putting it in the fridge, I cleaned the roots thoroughly of soil, and wrapped them in some cleaned up, moist Finnish sphagnum moss, and put the whole thing in a sealed ziplock bag in the fridge.

The thing is, the defrosting has now interrupted the Sarracenia's dormancy (and made it thaw, which is a good thing). My question is: is it worth putting the Sarracenia back in the fridge again, after it has spent 5 hours in room temperature? Or is it better to keep it in room temperature from now on? I've understood that dormancy should last at least for 6 weeks - mine has lasted very close to that (5,5 weeks), but not quite.
Attachments:
In July
In July
IMG_20210701_122606.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3176 times
Today, after thawing
Today, after thawing
IMG_20211206_153417.jpg (5.83 MiB) Viewed 3176 times
By TrapsAndDews
I have never had a sarracenia, but I don't think that is a purpurea (correct me if I'm wrong). Here's a picture of a purpurea I found online:
Sarraceniaceae_Sarracenia_purpurea_2.jpg
Sarraceniaceae_Sarracenia_purpurea_2.jpg (119.16 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
I don't really think 5 hours of room temperature affects plants' dormancy.
Last edited by TrapsAndDews on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarri liked this
By ChefDean
Not a purpurea, and your plant is still in its dormancy.
Check for mold, put it back in the fridge, and take it out when it better suits the plant to wake up.
Sarri liked this
By DesertPat
It'll be fine to continue it's dormancy. And speaking as an HVAC technician, not that its my business...check that your refrigerator door gasket is sealing all the way around, they shouldn't ice up rapidly ever unless something is wrong.

Patrick
Sarri liked this
By steve booth
As already mentioned, 5 hours out of the fridge will do nothing to interrupt dormancy, consider the temperature swings in the wild, temperatures are rarely constant and often have swings upwards and downwards. You would be better keeping it dormant till spring, whenever that happens in your part of the world, mine stay dormant for 4-5 months .
Your plant is a leucophylla hybrid (nice plant by the way)of some sort, but wont like freezing roots so avoid that if at all possible.
Cheers
Steve
Sarri liked this
By Sarri
And thanks so much to everyone else who commented, the Sarracenia went back to fridge, which seems to be slowly but surely starting to freeze up again, so will consult a technician about the fridge gasket (thanks DesertPat for the tip).
By cnrose
While temperature is a factor in dormancy, a bigger contributor is photoperiod - so as long as sarracenia don't get too many hours of light during the winter, they won't be tempted to wake from dormancy.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!