FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cosmickitty
Right now my “winter” is like 80 degrees… but can you winter sow VFT outdoors?
By optique
I would wait till after last frost. I do plan on sowing some sarracenia when things cool off some more. It's going to be my 1st natural stratification. Unless you count my volunteers sarra's i get from time to time.
By ChefDean
You can sow VFT seeds anytime of the year, they don't need stratification. But they do need warmth and light to germinate.
If your winter stays as warm as it is now, go for it. If it will cool off more, toss the seeds in the fridge when they arrive and sow them in the Spring.
By Cosmickitty
Might be best to wait then…. Last year I grew tomatoes till February xD but I live in Texas and the freak freeze we got last year scares me still. It was the coldest it’s been where I live since like 1920, a lot of my garden is still recuperating. Unless a few days indoors in a cold spell won’t hurt them?
By ChefDean
Agreed, might be best to wait.
While a few days inside due to a cold snap won't hurt them, it would suck if they germinated then, due to the fluctuating temps and shorter photoperiod, went into a mini-dormancy. They probably wouldn't have the reserves stored in their rhizome (if they had a rhizome at that point) to bounce back.
Wait until Spring, consistently warming temps, longer and longer days, and you should be good.
However, if you're impatient, sow them now and put them under a grow light for 16 hours a day until Spring. This would give them a little boost until sleepy time next winter.
By MikeB
You can sow flytrap seeds indoors at this time of year; it just takes longer for them to germinate. In the summertime heat and humidity, it's 2-4 weeks; at typical house temperatures, it's more like 4-8 weeks. I have a pot sitting under a grow light, and the seeds are sprouting just fine. The temperature at that location hits 70°F (21°C) during the day and drops to 60°F (15°C) at night.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!