FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hey all,

I am currently skipping dormancy with one of my flytraps, which is under a 17-hour photoperiod (6am-11pm) , 12 inches away from a 600w grow light. What is the estimated photoperiod they experience in the summer that triggers the flowering process? I feel it is a great way to collect seed during the winter months.
If anyone here who is experienced with indoor growing and has successfully flowered a VFT under lights, I would greatly appreciate it if they commented with suggestions.

All comments/opinions are appreciated,
Max
By Carnies
Honestly, I think it's probably the dormancy that triggers the flowering and the VFT puts up the stalks after it senses warmer weather. Idk, just what I think.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By MikeB
MaxVft wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:29 pm What is the estimated photoperiod they experience in the summer that triggers the flowering process?
According to the sunrise and sunset data for Wilmington, North Carolina, they get 13-14 hours of sunlight per day in late May / early June. Your 17-hour photoperiod should be sufficient for the light requirement. Having said that, I don't grow my flytraps indoors, so I don't know what else might be necessary to kick-start the process.
By elaineo
It's not really the photoperiod length that matters, but the change in photoperiod. In nature, flowering is triggered by seasonal light changes. Sunlight has more blue spectrum in the summer and more red spectrum in the winter due to the angle of the earth. A lot of grow lights have a "Veg/Bloom" switch because marijuana growers switch from blue to red lights when they want to promote budding. You could try the reverse: Give your plants red light, then add blue to mimic the transition from winter to spring?
By Nepenthes0260
Carnies wrote:Honestly, I think it's probably the dormancy that triggers the flowering and the VFT puts up the stalks after it senses warmer weather. Idk, just what I think.
I agree, I think the change from a short photoperiod to a longer photoperiod combined with increased temperatures is what triggers flowering.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same th[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!