FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
Does feeding a sundew increase the amount of dew it has?
By TrapsAndDews
My capensis seedlings are on a window sill and my spatulata seedlings are under cheap grow lights. The spatulatas are more dewy, so I'm assuming they are getting more light then the capes. At first I thought they were more dewy because I fed my spatulatas.
By ChefDean
While both would do (dew) fine on a windowsill, glass filters sunlight, especially modern windows with UV coatings and gas filling the spaces between the panes. The grow light will give a better quality of light than a windowsill, but outside will be better than a grow light as long as the temps are not too extreme.
MaxVft liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I don't want to risk growing them outside. Here the temperatures go very low in the winter and very high in the summer. We also get high winds, and we have low humidity. I live in a cold semi-arid environment. I'll stick to growing them inside.
ChefDean liked this
By optique
The dew takes a lot of energy to make, that needs light. The other factor is temperature and humidity drying it up.

you can mist your plants before a photo to make that dew pop.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
optique wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 pm Image
Nice picture. How long do you wait for the dew to show up after you mist the plants?

Another question: when new leaves are opening up, does the dew form after they open? One of my spatulata seedlings had a leave that opened up with barely any dew. The next morning it had lots of dew.
Last edited by TrapsAndDews on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Carnies
TrapsAndDews wrote:Nice picture. How long do you wait for the dew to show up after you mist the plants?
I think the mist is just to make the picture pop, and once the entire leaf is fully out, the dew will start to emerge.
By TrapsAndDews
Carnies wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 pm I think the mist is just to make the picture pop
Oh. I thought the mist actually makes more dew form.
By optique
yeah the mist just combines with the dew making it look better
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:28 pm While both would do (dew) fine on a windowsill, glass filters sunlight, especially modern windows with UV coatings and gas filling the spaces between the panes.
I just realized another reason why the plants on the windowsill are less dewy and growing slower. They get about less than 10 hours of light a day. While the plants under the grow light get around 14 hours of light a day.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!