FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kapahulu
I ordered 2 Sarracenia off Amazon ( gift card purchase), but they sent me 2 Nepenthes plants. I have no idea what to do with these. I keep my plants outside, or a small spot on my back porch. If I need to bring them inside and set something up, then there's things I have to buy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Attachments:
8c548558-39a0-4c5d-aaf3-9ea8d3086e72.jpg
8c548558-39a0-4c5d-aaf3-9ea8d3086e72.jpg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 2925 times
By MaxVft
Since they're pitcherless, you would have to wait. Maybe try contacting the seller with some pics?
By MaxVft
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:00 am I would contact Amazon about a return ASAP. Just like if you ordered a toaster and received a blender.
Sadly, Plants are not returnable. They are sold as-is, and the only way to get what you paid for is through a refund or a replacement.
By Kapahulu
Im not really cool with putting these plants through another shipping process. I'll do a return request and see what happens....
*** Amazon vendor will send correct plant. I don't have to send these back. So I gotta take care of em..
By MikeB
If you really don't want the Nepenthes, ask Apollyon and Supercazzola if they would like to have them. They live a little ways south of you.
MaxVft liked this
By specialkayme
If you're not interested in taking care of the Nepenthes, I'd suggest offering a trade to someone for something you would like. But if you're interested in trying to keep them alive, I'll mention they look a little rough. Not bad, but they've certainly seen better days. So if they end up dying, it may not be because you did anything wrong.

That being said, https://www.youtube.com/c/WindowsillNepenthes offers a good youtube site on how to take care of Nepenthes without getting fancy on the setup.

The actual care and setup will depend on the species of Nepenthes, of which you don't know :D Most Nepenthes are not able to stay outdoors year round in North America, although your location may be one of the few that could support an outdoor Nepenthes.

Most Nepenthes enjoy higher humidity (typically more than what a normal household is, but can vary widely from 40% to 85%) and more light than your average plant (some prefer partial shade while others like more, but most can do fine in a well lit window), along with Low PPM water (distilled) and you'll be fine. Try setting them up in a more humid part of your house with good window lighting and see how it does. Hooking up a cheap grow light (https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Spectrum-H ... KT56T?th=1) and/or a small humidifier may help, but may not be necessary.

Good luck!
By Apollyon
Tell you what, I'll be repotting my Sarrs in a couple of months. If you really don't want them, I'll trade you a Sarracenia for one of those Nepenthes. I feel bad reading this. Try the carnivorous nurseries, facebook, ebay, etsy, or here and you'll almost always be guaranteed what you want.

Neps are good plants and you might find them to grow on you. As far as upkeep, I'm almost positive they'll be ventrata. They're especially easy. Can keep it a bright area out of direct sun (or even harden it off. Friend grows one outside) mix of something like 50/50 sphagnum/perlite, and let it do its thing
specialkayme liked this
By Kapahulu
I have a friend that has a big green house. He has about 300 orchids, ima take them to him tomorrow to put in the greenhouse....
MikeB liked this

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!