FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

This is my first dormancy with my VFTs and Sarracenia, and I was just wondering, what's the best way to water the plants during the winter?

I know they just need to be kept damp, and shouldn't be sitting in standing water the entire time, but what's the best method of doing so without overwatering when it's cold out? Do I just put them in a tray of water for a day and let them soak up the water, then just take them out of the water at night, then waiting until the peat moss starts to get dry again? That's what I've been currently doing, but I'm not sure if I should be doing that or if it's better to just water from the top until water comes out the bottom instead?

Thanks in advance!

By TrapsAndDews
For VFTs, I just filled up my trays with water every 1 to 2 weeks, and waited until the soil would be barely moist to water again. I left my plants in the trays the whole time.
Nikson liked this
By ChefDean
Bottom water to keep the media moist, but keep it moist. If it seems to be drying out, gently/slowly top water until water just starts running out, then stop until next time.
Nikson liked this
By optique
Take into account not everyone has the same climate. I keep the same water level but i only fill the tub back up after the shallow side of the tub is dry. After my tub goes dry the media in the pot still is damp and in the winter that can take some time dry up.
Nikson, Kapahulu liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!