FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By StephenB200+
Experimented feeding some Maxsea and some bloodworms. The plants that were fed Maxsea grew much quicker. Once the bloodworm plants were fed Maxsea their growth caught up.
Attachments:
D2D328BE-D900-4120-9583-D127BBCD19F1.jpeg
D2D328BE-D900-4120-9583-D127BBCD19F1.jpeg (148.88 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By Apollyon
Interesting! I notice the same thing. Idk if it is because of total coverage or more nutrients available but fertilizing is usually more effective for me. Unfortunately some people don't research and it becomes a tragic accident. I personally believe that the more you feed the plants different leaves, the more effective it'll be. Rather than one leaf progressively drawing on a bulk of nutrients, having 10 leaves pulling smaller amounts at the same time seems more efficient to me.

Nice job! Those plants looks great
StephenB200+ liked this
By Apollyon
Panman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 pm Do you feed them with a dropper to each leaf?
If you mean me, I spray with a fine mist bottle so I don't see a large amount of runoff. When I've used more traditional bottles, I've inadvertently damaged some by the amount of fertilizer left on the plant. Pings seem to be more risky. The fine mist knocks the guesswork out of the equation. Do it enough to create a "layer" of sorts (similar to what mist looks like on the skin) and typically avoid spraying the growth point as much as I can.

That said though, I've had no trouble spraying seedlings a few weeks old doing this. If anything, the moss is more of a threat than the fertilizer. Typically, I'll wait until I see a "true" leaf before I do it because that's when the seed pod's energy is spent. People have different ways but I've sprayed every CP I own like this once a week and haven't had issues.
StephenB200+ liked this
By TrapsAndDews
StephenB200+ wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm Experimented feeding some Maxsea and some bloodworms. The plants that were fed Maxsea grew much quicker. Once the bloodworm plants were fed Maxsea their growth caught up.
Those are very nice looking plants.
StephenB200+ liked this
By MaxVft
I sowed my burmannii "Perlata" seeds a few weeks back... I have yet to see germination.
StephenB200+ liked this
By TrapsAndDews
StephenB200+ wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm Experimented feeding some Maxsea and some bloodworms. The plants that were fed Maxsea grew much quicker. Once the bloodworm plants were fed Maxsea their growth caught up.
How old are those plants?
By MaxVft
TrapsAndDews wrote: How old are those plants?
I believe the first time he posted them as seedlings was in September. This species can take as little as 1 month to mature from seed depending on the Vigoroty and how much you feed the plants.
StephenB200+ liked this
By StephenB200+
Thanks. I also have been feeding different leaves. The thinking was that they might be like flytraps and the leaves that frequently get fed die off.

Maybe the plant has to expend some energy rehydrating the bloodworms? Who knows 8)
Apollyon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:28 pm Interesting! I notice the same thing. Idk if it is because of total coverage or more nutrients available but fertilizing is usually more effective for me. Unfortunately some people don't research and it becomes a tragic accident. I personally believe that the more you feed the plants different leaves, the more effective it'll be. Rather than one leaf progressively drawing on a bulk of nutrients, having 10 leaves pulling smaller amounts at the same time seems more efficient to me.

Nice job! Those plants looks great
By StephenB200+
If my memory serves me, they began sprouting in late July. I began feeding them weekly once their leaves were big enough.
MaxVft wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:45 am
TrapsAndDews wrote: How old are those plants?
I believe the first time he posted them as seedlings was in September. This species can take as little as 1 month to mature from seed depending on the Vigoroty and how much you feed the plants.
By StephenB200+
About 4 1/2 month old.
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:12 am
How old are those plants?
By StephenB200+
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for ya. I did some seeds in water and some on sphagnum moss. All ended up sprouting around the same time.
MaxVft wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:20 pm I sowed my burmannii "Perlata" seeds a few weeks back... I have yet to see germination.
By StephenB200+
Interesting, Thanks for the tip. Do you have to do any mold mitigation? The bloodworms would often grow mold…
Apollyon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:39 pm
Panman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 pm Do you feed them with a dropper to each leaf?
If you mean me, I spray with a fine mist bottle so I don't see a large amount of runoff. When I've used more traditional bottles, I've inadvertently damaged some by the amount of fertilizer left on the plant. Pings seem to be more risky. The fine mist knocks the guesswork out of the equation. Do it enough to create a "layer" of sorts (similar to what mist looks like on the skin) and typically avoid spraying the growth point as much as I can.

That said though, I've had no trouble spraying seedlings a few weeks old doing this. If anything, the moss is more of a threat than the fertilizer. Typically, I'll wait until I see a "true" leaf before I do it because that's when the seed pod's energy is spent. People have different ways but I've sprayed every CP I own like this once a week and haven't had issues.
Apollyon liked this
By StephenB200+
About half the leaves.
By Apollyon
StephenB200+ wrote:Interesting, Thanks for the tip. Do you have to do any mold mitigation? The bloodworms would often grow mold…
I also had those kinds of issues. Outside of clipping off molding leaves, fungicide, improving air ventilation and the like; I just use maxsea instead of feeding the plants worms. I noticed even if I recycled the air, the stuff could form fairly easy. You could feed it very little amounts compared to what you have been, perhaps turning them into powder and putting very little on. That may help a bit. Usually it molds when due to excess material.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!