FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Looneylevi
Newer grower here, wasn't thinking and didn't order heat packs with the two babies I had ordered. One being a N. Gymnamphora and the other N. Muluensis x Lowii. I work in the evenings for door dash, but as they hadn't arrived by the time I would normally go to work I was too nervous to potentially leave them out in the freezing western Washington fall night protected by a mailbox and some wrappings. I made the right choice because at around 6pm my mail tracking app alerted me that it had been delivered. I'm surprised there wasn't frost on them when I got them open with how cold they were, it had me seriously seriously worried.

If anyone is interested in seeing what they look like, have at it. https://imgur.com/gallery/3h1Zc1p

But anyway luckily enough I got them into my grow tent next to a couple other Nepenthes and Orchids, the first 1.5ish days they spent underneath a large sandwhich bag with small holes in it as an added layer to swath them in heat and humidity. 5ish days later and the little ones are already showing signs of growth with the Muluensis x Lowii starting to open up the top of its vine into a new leaf and the Gymnamphora vine starting to seriously show the..... fission line? where the leaf is going to open up. Eventually going to repot them but for now just letting them chill after the shock and stress of being transported through an incredibly inhospitable environment.

I'm so freakin relieved, especially since the Muluwii (good name for the beautiful hybrid) is so small.

Anyway just wanted to share my experience somewhere people would understand. Thanks for taking the time to read and have a good day.
By TrapsAndDews
Those are very nice looking plants. I didn't know Western Washington gets freezing weather. I live in Eastern Washington, and I used to think that the weather on the other side was milder.
By Looneylevi
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:29 pm Those are very nice looking plants. I didn't know Western Washington gets freezing weather. I live in Eastern Washington, and I used to think that the weather on the other side was milder.
It is getting more tempermental over here as time goes on, we had almost record breaking heat this year and two months later I'm waking up to frost on the ground.

Thank you though.
By Looneylevi
They are literally just called flytraps on ebay. They have good photos up so I took the risk.
By MaxVft
Looneylevi wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 am They are literally just called flytraps on ebay. They have good photos up so I took the risk.
If you are talking about flytraps on eBay, they are also known as Cook's Carnivorous Plants (www.flytraps.com).
By Looneylevi
That is what I thought but Ebay wasn't telling, either that or I didn't look in the right place. But yes.

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!