FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I was wondering if you could get d. intermedia seeds and just throw them into some pots that are outside. (after you cold stratified them) Would the seeds germinate outside? Or would it be better to germinate the seeds indoors, then acclimate the plants to the outdoors when they get larger? (by the way, I don't have any d. intermedia seeds right now, I'm just wondering if it's possible)
By DeadlyCarnivore
I mean, the plants naturally grow outside. So given the right conditions, they should germinate outside. If where you live doesnt give you the right conditions, germinate them inside, then acclimate outside.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ChefDean liked this
By optique
They grow like weeds in my out door collection. I have a top layer of live spag. that just fills with seeds and keeps spreading it even after repots and divides.

when i divide i try to pick out the dormant ones to poke back in the pots i sell like as a bonus. i did circle some but you have to zoom in to notice.
By Panman
Agreed. They become weedy outdoors. The problem you need to watch out for is the rain washing them out of the pot.
Attachments:
CM210810-201358005.jpg
CM210810-201358005.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2328 times
By ChefDean
A plant grown outdoors? What kind of witchcraft is this?
You're going to H-E-double hockey sticks for thinking such blasphemy!
Seriously though, I'm not great with seeds, but I've had much better success doing them outdoors, including stratification, than indoors. Capes are probably the only ones that didn't have a significant difference in performance.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:32 pm Can drosera seeds survive freezing temperatures for a long period of time?
I've never tried it with tropical Drosera, but all temperate and all subtropical seeds I've tried it with did somewhere between great and okay. I've even had success with tomato and groundcherry seeds, and they are very tropical.
By steve booth
Temperate Drosera seeds can take a winter (freezing temperatures) without too much trouble. what tends to happen outdoors in bogs and the like, is that the self-set seeds being so small tend to get buried by the effects of wind and rain or overtopped by Sphagnum, so don't germinate, till you turn the soil over for some reason, even 12 months or more later and those then exposed get going.
Long winded way of saying yes they can take freezing temperatures
Cheers
Steve
By MikeB
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:32 pm Can drosera seeds survive freezing temperatures for a long period of time?
Check out the range maps:

Drosera anglica
Drosera filiformis
Drosera intermedia
Drosera rotundifolia

As long as you get seeds from a northern population, they won't have any trouble.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!