FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By optique
CPhunter101 wrote: Is this overcrowded by utricularia standards?
the research i did was for submersed but multiple sources said to use clumps and not to solo plant.

My little Betta will not uproot plants and keep the nitrifying bacteria alive. the floating plants are to help with removing nitrogen left over from that process. I think this amount will be fine, i don't want to shade the utricularia.

Image Image
By CPhunter101
optique wrote:I think this amount will be fine, i don't want to shade the utricularia.
I beleive that utrics can grow well in a bit of shade.
Most of my terrestrials are (greatly) shaded by sarrs.
Also, thanks for researching! I'll be monitoring my Graminifolia's health.
Last edited by CPhunter101 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
By twitcher
Generally, I think people divide the tissue culture up into pieces. That's what I did. I took several smaller pieces leaving the main one intact, and use the pieces to start subcultures. I think it lessens the risk of losing the whole thing (to accident, drying out,etc) if it is divided.
By optique
that's prob dead, did you keep it at 90%+ humidity?

mine is growing slow. I am tempted to move my CO2 to this tank to speed things up but it would be a lot of work.
By CPhunter101
optique wrote:that's prob dead, did you keep it at 90%+ humidity?
I kept it well misted and constantly soaked. I'll bag it and try to save what's left.
Btw, your aquarium is looking very lush and healthy!
By optique
I went to petco today they were restocking the plants, I got 2 more cups that never touched the shelf. I am pinning this stuff down with tooth picks and placing small amounts of gravel on top, anyone know a better way?

such a large contrast in the new clumps
By optique
just updating the photo. I have been slowly raising the PH and TDS over time without a negative reaction from the U. graminifolia to get the tank cherry shrimp friendly. Shrimp are in the mail went with Blue Velvet.
Image Image Image
Lain liked this
By optique
I think I let the floating plants get to thick and the lack of light made the Utricularia release from the substrate. It still seems green and healthy. When adding the shrimp that were all hiding tonight, i removed that Betta and 2 days ago a added some freshly birthed platy's that seem to be helping to control the scuds running wild in the tank.
ImageImage
the sticks are tooth picks i had pinning the plants down. i think i am going to make a floating ring to keep a open space for light it get in. I am really afraid to remove the plants ATM because i already have baby shrimp.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!