FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I recently bought a pack of D.natalensis La Juma seeds from AK Carnivores. (Sorry no pic, but I'll say that each one just looks like a normal natalensis seed and unfortunately I couldn't get close enough to read any "Made In" info.) I assumed that "La Juma" referred to some place in South Africa or maybe Natal but I can't find it. I guess "La Juma" could be something else - the grower, the grower's favorite cat or something even more obscure. I did email AK and they had no further information. I know Google translate thinks it's Romanian and translates it to "The Juma" but that really isn't as enlightning as it might be. In Spanish it seems to mean a "feminine drunk", which is sort of interesting but would be a rather strange name for a plant. I did find that in Swahili "Juma" means "week" which might be closer, given to the plant's African origin but, again, not very informative.

So, Community, does anybody know what "La Juma" refers to?
By Apollyon
No but that sounds pretty cool man. I love AK's odd variety of seeds. They actually had Bainskloof Capensis seed. Can't get mine to flower to save my life
By MaxVft
There are like 10 Spanish songs called "La Juma"....

On the other end, I found an example sentence for "La Juma" on a dictionary website:
This tour takes place in the Juma area at the Juma Floating Lodge, located 100 kilometers south of Manaus in the wild Amazon forest.
An amazonian sundew???
By evenwind
MikeB wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:43 pm My vote is for "the drunken lady sundew". :lol:
I kinda like it. Until something more definite comes along, how's this (just not too sure about the "?"):
PB202508a.JPG
PB202508a.JPG (80.98 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
MaxVft wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:11 pm An amazonian sundew???
Pretty sure it's only native to southern Africa. But maybe it was caught spreading it's seed on Spring Break?
MaxVft, MikeB liked this
By ChefDean
I've found references to a Juma Mosque in Durban, South Africa, also called Grey Street Mosque. However, Juma refers to the type of mosque, a Congregational Mosque. Juma in Arabic, written in western letters, has been written as jame, jami, jameh, jamia, or jomeh, so Juma isn't a far stretch.
Arabic jumae means Friday in English.
I can't find any reference to a La Juma region in the area, nor could I find how natalensis La Juma is puncuated. If La Juma was in quotes, that would indicate a name. If in parentheses, it would indicate a location.
The only other thing I could find was a reference to a Kenyan born, Harvard professor, Calestous Juma that was a strong advocate for bioengineering and GMO's to increase food production in Africa, and his Father, John Juma, was instrumental in introducing cassava to Kenya as a staple crop. It's a stretch, but it could be an honorary title in respect to either of those men.
By evenwind
I couldn't find a "La Juma" either. I like the idea of Juma Mosque - it's certainly in the right part of the world. Can't figure the "La", though. Unless whoever named it added the article because they were a native Spanish speaker? Thanks for the research.
By ChefDean
More info.
Juma is an area in Mozambique, along the Megaruma River, about 50 miles from the eastern coast, west of Mecufi. D. natalensis is native to Mozambique, so it's conceivable that it's from that area. The "La" could also mean "of" rather than "the".

Edit: If you look closer at the map where it is labeled "Juma", you see a few buildings. Maybe a small village? Or homestead perhaps?
evenwind liked this
By oval
I ran the words together, "Lajuma," and it comes up as being "in the northern part of South Africa high up in the Soutpansberg Mountain Range." http://www.lajuma.com says it is a "centre of floristic diversity and endemism, and is located between Louis Trichardt (Makhado) and Vivo."
ChefDean, MaxVft, evenwind and 1 others liked this
By evenwind
That sounds like a winner!
By evenwind
OK, I've done the re-naming and while I'll keep an open mind, I think @oval got it right. Even so, you've got to admit that "Drunken Lady" or a Mozambique location would have been a lot cooler... Thanks all!
PB202511a.JPG
PB202511a.JPG (134.94 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
MaxVft liked this

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!