FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

This came up in another thread with my drosera spatulata, but I've been wondering if my plant is ok.

It's sprouted a flower about a month ago and it's been growing along really well. The flower stalk is incredibly tall now, and I can see all the seed pods. I used to grow it outside under the Georgian sun, but moved it inside after it started getting really cold about a month ago. After I moved it inside, it went from being green to red, and started making a lot more dew than it used to, and was very healthy and started growing the flower stalk.

However, the plant itself is looking a bit rough. It used to be SUPER dewy with every leaf very boogery looking, but now the bottom leaves are dried up. The leaves at the top are still making dew, but the other leaves are starting to dry up and look a bit brown.

I fed it for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday, so some of the top leaves are curled up now, but do I need to do anything?

Growing conditions: It's currently indoors under my Yescom 225, on the edge of the grow panel's light range. My phone's light meter says it's getting around 13,000 LUX, and it's way below the panels so it shouldn't be burning up or anything. I keep it sitting in a tray of distilled water, refilling after a day or two after it runs dry. Usually around 65-70 degrees right now in the room its in.

Pictures of it below:

By plantnerdjules
I think your plant is likely to recover after it completes seed production.

Caution - I'm new to this and I don't have D spatulata.

Producing flowers and seeds takes extra energy from the plant so it's understandable the plant looks a bit stressed. I've heard that some growers cut off new flower stems to reduce stress, of course only if they don't want seed.

With my D adelae, the two plants that produced flowers (lovely!) were looking a bit 'tired' but they have just starting to perk up as the seed capsules are nearly fully developed now.

On one D adelae I accidentally broke off its new flower stem, clumsy me! That plant stayed looking good in the same conditions while its neighbours were looking 'tired' from their flowering effort.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Sarracenia2004 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:03 am Your plant had TWO flowerstalks, which can make it very stressed. Usually I would cut of 1 of the flowers. Just keep the same conditions and it should recover. Some drosera may die or weaken severely if they aren't fed after they flower.

Good luck!
Ah, I see!

So I should keep sprinkling it with bloodworms every once in a while when it has dew again to make sure it can keep on growing?
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!