FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DeadlyCarnivore
Berrybob wrote:My biggest one has three tiny leaves on it with a fourth one opening.
Oh thats good!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Berrybob liked this
By Apollyon
How long are you keeping the lights on them? I haven't reduced my photoperiod yet but seem to be doing alright. From what it sounds like, mine are about the same size as yours currently. Mine are working on their 4th leaves as well but they haven't developed fully yet. Strangely enough, it appears a couple are indeed pushing through the sand which was neat to see. I lost a bunch though, I'm looking at about 14-15 plants total I think out of 50 seeds.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Apollyon wrote:How long are you keeping the lights on them? I haven't reduced my photoperiod yet but seem to be doing alright. From what it sounds like, mine are about the same size as yours currently. Mine are working on their 4th leaves as well but they haven't developed fully yet. Strangely enough, it appears a couple are indeed pushing through the sand which was neat to see. I lost a bunch though, I'm looking at about 14-15 plants total I think out of 50 seeds.
I keep my lights on for around 10 hours, 12 hours max. 12 hours is pretty long in the winter though.

By nimbulan
I follow a natural photoperiod for South Africa / southern Australia (they're at pretty much the same latitude ~35S) for all my plants so my photoperiod varies from 10h on the winter solstice to 14h on the summer solstice. It's generally below 12 hours before the tubers start growing, except for a few early risers.
Berrybob liked this
By Apollyon
Interesting. It may be the yescom lights but I had germination at 16 hours. If I remember, I planted ~50 seeds and about half of them have sprouted and grown. Currently, they're on about their 6th leaf. I do intend to drop the photoperiod though so I'll be spending the next couple days restructuring my grow spaces and get the plants I want going into winter phases together. I haven't had any adverse effect so far with my auriculata. What I can say about those is after I went through the prep phase with introducing water and keeping them damp for a couple months. The day after the temps dropped (moved to an led setup) below 75 degrees, they germinated almost immediately. I believe I lost some due to an error I made in the beginning with planting but I had a reasonably successful experience so far.

I decided to get some hookeri seeds and use GA3 to skip the fall planting to see if I can beat nature and get tubers this year from them. I'm currently waiting on those. I'm going to save some in case it fails though.
By nimbulan
Yeah the D. peltata complex are extremely forgiving with regards to temperatures and photoperiod. Upright species in general are fairly easy. If you decide to try the more difficult rosetted or fan-leaved tuberous sundews, expect them to be significantly more picky.

For my experience, a couple years ago I sowed a TON of tuberous and South African winter growing sundew seeds of a variety of species indoors. After 2 months or so, only the peltata complex and a couple scattered seeds of select other species had germinated. I decided to move everything to the garage and very soon after I had all sorts of seeds germinating. I decided to leave all the winter growers out there permanently after that experience.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I do have a tuber of a rosetted sundew, now that I read that I think I'm going to shift the timer tomorrow and see if it gets me any kind of response. Thanks for the tip with that.
By Berrybob
I think my auriculata have gone dormant. Almost all of them have died down and I dug one out and saw a little tuber. Should I let them completely dry out? Do I water them while dormant and if so how much?
By Apollyon
From what I read, people take them out once the water level is drained and store them in ziplocks over the summer. The tubers are drought resistant so I imagine you can just store them in a bag straight up. I had my Squamosa sent to me like that from Poland and it held up fine. Congrats on a successful run though. I'm 50/50 on the survival of mine. A lot of them died back but I don't know if it was toxicity or dormancy. Couple are still alive right now because I had to extend their growing season into the summer (Realized JUST how finicky squamosa is with photoperiods).

Personally, I'm going to leave mine in the pots and let them do their slow evaporation in the bag when it's all said and done.
Berrybob liked this
By Apollyon
I had a 50/50. The ones that came out flowered immediately though so luckily I can redo it
Berrybob liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore
I had success on my first summer dormancy with my new tuberous dews! (Hookeri and Tubaestylis)They have both been out of dormancy for about a month now, maybe a month and a half? My Ramellosa "white flower" survived its 2nd summer dormancy and seems to be flowering while growing its stems of carnivorous leaves! Dont know exactly how that one works yet... Looks like it can flower early on in the season, and also near the end, once the stems with carnivorous leaves fully grow??

Berrybob liked this
By nimbulan
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:I had success on my first summer dormancy with my new tuberous dews! (Hookeri and Tubaestylis)They have both been out of dormancy for about a month now, maybe a month and a half? My Ramellosa "white flower" survived its 2nd summer dormancy and seems to be flowering while growing its stems of carnivorous leaves! Dont know exactly how that one works yet... Looks like it can flower early on in the season, and also near the end, once the stems with carnivorous leaves fully grow??
Different species will flower at different times. Stem-forming species will typically flower towards the end of the season after they grow tall. Rosetted species will often send up flowers before leaves, though there are some exceptions (such as D. monantha.) The stolonifera complex I believe will generally form flower buds early, but can take a while before they open.
Berrybob liked this
By Apollyon
Looks like my Squamosa survived the "overwinter" where it was only dormant for about 3-4 months. Just started popping back out yesterday. Now I can get it on a schedule. That ones a relief lol.
Berrybob liked this
Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!