FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hey all,

Recieved a Singalana x Tenuis last week on Wednesday in healthy condition, potted it up in LFSM and put it under lights. To brutally say, I only checked on it once or twice since then. When I did so today, I noticed the stem and growth point are completely black, and the tip of the growth point fell of when I was checking on it. The media was slightly moist, the way all my other neps like it. This puzzles me because,

1. Isn't this supposed to be an Intermediate hybrid?
2. No noticeable bugs or fungus when I uprooted it...
3. It looked so healthy just a couple days ago...

Could it be too much light at once? It was about 7 inches away from my Yescom 225.

Temperature is 75F. Humidity is 50 percent.
I will post images tomorrow.

Thanks all for any suggestions,
Max
Last edited by MaxVft on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MaxVft
Supercazzola wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:22 pm Could it be that you damaged its roots when potting it up? Could it have been exposed to cold temperature or other bad environment when shipped ?
It's roots look healthy...

I've seen cold damage, and this is definitely not it.
By BugBiters
My initial instincts are either:

1. It's a bit shocked from a humidity drop - most can be acclimated down to that but I tend to keep incoming and recently repotted plants at closer to 80% for the first few weeks

or

2. Systemic infection, although I'm not experienced enough to guess at which. I have saved plants with leaves that started to look like that by trimming, treating, and drying them out a bit (down from my ~80% humidity - I wouldn't go lower with yours), but once the growth point goes it tends to be a bit tricky.
MaxVft liked this
By BugBiters
(The light could also definitely be a problem, but my over-sunned neps tend to shrink their leaves abruptly while turning either white or red, so if you're not seeing anything like that I'm not sure that's it)
By MaxVft
@BugBiters, is there a way to recover from the shock? You said "a bit", which seems more mild... also, if the parent plant isn't saved, it's probably game over. There are no dormant nodes on this plant.
By BugBiters
MaxVft wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:32 pm @BugBiters, is there a way to recover from the shock? You said "a bit", which seems more mild... also, if the parent plant isn't saved, it's probably game over. There are no dormant nodes on this plant.
Yes, that was probably me being optimistic :(

As a last-ditch effort it is often worth bagging up the root mass/remaining greenery and keeping it humid for a bit. Sometimes they will just pop out another basal shoot for you (about half the time, actually, in my experience). If it's shocky from humidity drop it will enjoy that. If it's an infection it may well be counter-productive but in that case I'm not sure there are great odds of saving it late-stage anyways.
By MaxVft
Yeah, I just noticed some mildew where the growth point was... I think it may have contracted an illness. It's too late for me if that's the case... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I dont have any insecticide on me and if I did order it, the plant would most likely be dead by the time I recieved it...

BTW, is it possible to come back from the roots? They are the healthiest part of the plant right now, sooo...
By BugBiters
MaxVft wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:11 am
BTW, is it possible to come back from the roots? They are the healthiest part of the plant right now, sooo...
They definitely, definitely can. At least three of the plants I lost from stress during my fire evac bounced back from the roots, sometimes with multiple shoots. I would trim below the gross bit, bag it, and see what happens!
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
BugBiters wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:08 pm They definitely, definitely can. At least three of the plants I lost from stress during my fire evac bounced back from the roots, sometimes with multiple shoots. I would trim below the gross bit, bag it, and see what happens!
Thank you SO much for the info! This comment right here just made my day... :D
BugBiters liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!