FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By rxm161
Being new to the forum if I have this in the wrong place please advise.

But, I had two small cracks (holes) in the container I use to hold water and my pots in. I used black silicone sealant to close these two small holes. While it keeps the water in very nicely it got me thinking: Is this sealant bad for my VFTs?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

By Panman
I know that the clear silicone that you use on aquariums would be okay but I am not sure about black silicone. I think it should be okay because silicone general doesn't react with anything.
By Kapahulu
It must say "aquarium safe" somewhere on the tube. Or check the specs of the brand online...
By ChefDean
If it's 100% silicone it will be fine for your plants as long as it is allowed to cure properly before exposing it to water, usually 24 hours. Silicone cures by exposure to oxygen, obviously can't do that underwater, and some form of solvent evaporation. Exposure to water before a full cure can result in failure of the seal and the leaching of chemicals into the water.
All that being said, if you wait at least 12 hours after applying it to a clean and dry surface, you'll be fine with it sealing the crack, and the amount of chemicals leached will be negligible and easily flushed away.
I wouldn't use siliconized caulk, even stuff designed for bathroom use as it's not designed for constant exposure to water. It'll probably fail before too long, and you're right back at square one.
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By rxm161
Thanks all! Much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!