FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By cybervenus
Hello.
I've got my first venus flytrap recently, and I love it! Need some advice thought.

What species is this? Was sold as "red dragon" but I googled it and it looks different

Should I put it outside now or wait for spring? (But if now, what would be the best time to take it back inside?)

I'm gonna repot it soon, should I get rid of the moss?
By MikeB
cybervenus wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 am What species is this?
FYI - No matter how different the flytraps look, they all belong to just one species: Dionaea muscipula.

The word that you're looking for is "cultivar" (cultivated variety).
cybervenus wrote: Was sold as "red dragon" but I googled it and it looks different
It could be a Red Dragon that hasn't received enough light. Can you post a bigger picture?
cybervenus wrote: Should I put it outside now or wait for spring? (But if now, what would be the best time to take it back inside?)
We can't answer those questions without knowing where you're located.
cybervenus wrote: I'm gonna repot it soon, should I get rid of the moss?
I would. That moss is seriously crowding your flytrap.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Yeah those teeth look way too fringed to be a red dragon... Probably a seedgrown typical.
By cybervenus
MikeB wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:04 pm
cybervenus wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 am What species is this?
FYI - No matter how different the flytraps look, they all belong to just one species: Dionaea muscipula.

The word that you're looking for is "cultivar" (cultivated variety).
cybervenus wrote: Was sold as "red dragon" but I googled it and it looks different
It could be a Red Dragon that hasn't received enough light. Can you post a bigger picture?
cybervenus wrote: Should I put it outside now or wait for spring? (But if now, what would be the best time to take it back inside?)
We can't answer those questions without knowing where you're located.
cybervenus wrote: I'm gonna repot it soon, should I get rid of the moss?
I would. That moss is seriously crowding your flytrap.
No idea why the picture is so small, is this any better?
https://ibb.co/FsD5vXc
https://ibb.co/gt2026v
I'm located in Central Europe if that helps
By MikeB
cybervenus wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:44 pm No idea why the picture is so small, is this any better?
https://ibb.co/FsD5vXc
https://ibb.co/gt2026v
Much better. I agree with MaxVFT: the teeth on the traps are too short and fringed to be a Red Dragon. It looks more similar to Bohemian Garnet, Bristletooth, and Crimson Sawtooth. You got a very unique flytrap; nice find!
cybervenus wrote: I'm located in Central Europe if that helps
Well, that narrows it down. Can you give me a city and country? Then I can go to Google and ask what the climate is like there.

For general care: The Venus flytrap is native to the area around Wilmington, North Carolina, USA. Summers there are hot (29-35°C / 85-95°F) and humid; winters are cool (2-13°C / 35-55°F). During the winter, flytraps go dormant: the traps stop closing (i.e., they don't eat bugs during the winter), the leaves grow very slowly, and they survive by photosynthesis like a regular plant.

When you repot it, I wouldn't be surprised if you found 3 or 4 plants in the pot. Wait until late winter or early spring to do this, when the plants are still dormant. I would use a large pot, 15-20 cm / 6-8 inches in diameter and at least 15 cm / 6 inches tall, and spread the plants out so they have plenty of "elbow room". That will encourage them to grow more next year, especially if you also do away with the moss.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
cybervenus wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:25 am Just curious, how can you tell a cultivar and seedgrown apart?
You can't. Every Cultivar starts off as a seedgrown typical plant, and since yours clearly isn't 'Red Dragon', its safe to say you can call it a very unique typical seedgrown.
MikeB liked this
By evenwind
The rule is really very simple. If the plant was produced by vegetative propagation, (ie. taking a piece of an existing plant (root, leaf, rhizome,etc.)) and growing the piece into an adult plant, then the new plant is a true clone of the original plant. If the original plant is a named cultivar, then the new plant shares that name. On the other hand, if the new plant was produced via seeds (even if it's selfed), then the new plant is not a clone, no matter how much it might resemble it's parent, and is not entitled to share the parent's cultivar name. If the new seedling is unique enough to deserve it, then it can be given a new cultivar name by the grower. Otherwise, it's just considered a "typical". Also, to keep the cultivar names pure, any plant of unknown origin is also consideded to be a "typical", no matter it's appearance.
MikeB, MaxVft liked this
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!