FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Yster3+
Good day all... I've been to my nursery and saw these two other plants other than the ventricosa. The lady working there said she doesn't know how to identify them as the owner who does the identification was not around. Thought you guys could help.

I tried the nepenthes identifier online but keep getting different results so I thought I'd ask the experts lol with loads more
experience. I think there are 2 different plants here. Please help thanks.
Attachments:
Screenshot_20211031-191317_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211031-191317_Instagram.jpg (116.9 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Screenshot_20211101-215545_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211101-215545_Instagram.jpg (136.57 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Screenshot_20211031-191808_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211031-191808_Instagram.jpg (106.59 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Screenshot_20211101-215601_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211101-215601_Instagram.jpg (196.53 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
By specialkayme
The redish looking one looks like it has some vogelii in it. The lip on the peristome reminds me of truncata, but the leaves don't have the typical truncata shape, so I doubt it.
The greenish looking one reminds me of mirabilis, and the peristome reminds me of veitchii a little, although when pitchers first open it's tough to tell.

That's what I see at least.
By MaxVft
The first 2 pics COULD be a very green x Ventrata, but it's probably quite doubtful.

What were the results from the online identifier?
By CPhunter101
Using the nepenthes indentifier, I'm getting mixed results for the first one...
The second one seems to be a Ventricosa, Albomarginata, or Truncata cross.
The third one might be a Boschiana or Reinwardtiana cross.
The last one could be a Vogelii, Fusca, or Spectabilis cross.

Edit: The first one results in Veitchii, Chaniana, Reinwardtiana, Sanguinea, and Truncata.
By Rammplins
For the third one I am leaning toward a Boschiana cross. My two Boschiana crosses have the same peristome opening shape.
For the fourth I am thinking a Fusca cross, just because of the peristome shape. I feel like if it was a vogelli cross the pitchers would be smaller.

Im not amazing at ID'ing neps though, take all of that with a grain of salt.
By specialkayme
Rammplins wrote: I feel like if it was a vogelli cross the pitchers would be smaller.
I have a N. petiolata x vogelii that has pitchers that size, and rough color/shape. Peristome is off though.
By Yster3+
Yeah.. when I use the identification site it pops up veitchii for the green and I would put in the same pic and pop up as albom* sorry for my spelling. But all the names listed in everyones comments is basically what I got in the app as each time it changes. Being that I'm a newbie I don't really know the spelling and how each species look but all the names in everyone comments are the same as what I get on the app.
By MaxVft
How long is it till the ID guy at the nursery comes back ;)
By Yster3+
I honestly have no idea lol... but I guess to make triple sure what these plants are I will need to speak to him.
By Supercazzola
Unless labeled when purchased, just call them Nepenthes and don’t second guess. Especially if somewhere down the line you propagate and sell them.
By specialkayme
Supercazzola wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:28 pm Unless labeled when purchased, just call them Nepenthes and don’t second guess. Especially if somewhere down the line you propagate and sell them.
Absolutely agree. But personally I like to know what kind of Nepenthes I'm growing. Not for resale, or because I honestly care what kind it is (as long as I enjoy the look of the plant, that's what makes me want to grow it). I want to know because if it does well, I like to find other plants that grow (or can be adapted to) similar growing conditions. Or if it doesn't do well, I don't want to drop additional cash on plants that likewise aren't likely to thrive in similar conditions.

For example, if I get a gracilis and a robcantleyi, and the gracilis is struggling while the robcantleyi is doing fine, I'm less likely to get a bicalcarata next. But if the robcantleyi is struggling while the gracilis is doing fine, I'm less likely to get a mira next. Assuming the plants are healthy and all.

But, that can be easily solved in this situation by asking the nursery what conditions it grows in, and seeing if you can mimic them. If so, and you like the look of the plants (and the price matches your admiration of the plants), then go for it.

I'm always amazed that I can see photos of nepenthes that I think look absolutely stunning and some are priced at $20 (while others are more), meanwhile I see some nepenthes that are priced in the hundreds of dollars that I think look absolutely disgusting. The price often matches how "rare" they are, and often how challenging they are to propagate, while all I'm looking for is how much joy they bring :)

But I don't buy plants to resell or breed them. Others have different motivations.
MaxVft liked this
By Supercazzola
I would imagine any mass produced Nepenthes are lowland, but you didn’t mention these were mass produced, just at a local nursery. Your best bet is what you thought, ask the owner or person there who knows or put it into inventory
By Yster3+
I'm not planning on reselling them lol... I would want them to just grow as I like the look of them. But it's like what specialKayme said, like I would want a plant that matches the similar environment with the other plants I have. And it's kinda nice to know the species of your plant just for easier referencing if you would want to Google them to see their full potential on what other growers have achieved and how their pitchers will look.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!