FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Sarracenia2004 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:16 pm I wonder if the multifida extremas that we have in cultivation have the same genetics as the wild ones? Were they collected plants or from seeds. I wonder if our plants in cultivation have the possibility to reach that size...
I guarantee that Multifida Extrema in cultivation share the same genetics to a point, and have the potential to reach that size, the difference is environment.
We give our plants a much more stable life than in situ could ever provide, so our Multifida Extrema would probably top out at a couple dozen points +/-.
In the wild, where insect populations will go on boom/bust cycles, the plant will react by producing more points in an attempt to catch more bugs during a bust period. This may be a low insect population point.
Where we provide as optimal conditions as possible, ours don't need to go the extra mile. We make sure they survive.
Now, if you could find that happy medium between the stress of death vs living to see another day, you could very well produce a Multifida Extrema with over 100 points. However, I wouldn't suggest you push your plant to that point.
Supercazzola, tommyr liked this
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!