FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I just took my four VFTs out in the garage for dormancy. So far, they're healthy and doing fine, but two of them may have a pest. Some leaves have been eaten, a trap actually might've caught it but whatever the pest is, ate itself free (and that's infuriating!), And there's tiny black dots that idk, could be poop from the pest? The dots r not only on the leaves but near the rhizome and even on the media which is sphagnum moss and perlite. haven't seen it, and I didn't expect this to happen. Would anyone know what it could be and how to get rid of it? :?
Attachments:
20211027_100432_HDR.jpg
20211027_100432_HDR.jpg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 3251 times
20211027_100249.jpg
20211027_100249.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 3251 times
By ChefDean
Hit it with some Bioadvanced 3 in 1 lightly about once a week for the next few weeks. That will usually clear up most pests, but keep an eye out to see if you can find the pest and hit it directly.
Apollyon liked this
By septembersapphire21
ChefDean wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:58 pm Hit it with some Bioadvanced 3 in 1 lightly about once a week for the next few weeks. That will usually clear up most pests, but keep an eye out to see if you can find the pest and hit it directly.
Sorry for not replying sooner! It's been a few days since I posted this question and I've been looking for the bug, and I believe its not around anymore. I don't see any more traps getting eaten and nothing is not of the ordinary.

When you mean 3 in 1 lightly, does that mean three parts water and 1 one part Bioadvanced? I'll try finding it online or at Lowes so that I'll have something if another pest attacks my plants.
By ChefDean
^^^^What he said. However, I've only been able to find it in the concentrated jug, while some people say they can find it in a ready to use spray bottle. It also has an anti-fungal property, so it might not be a bad this to spray for a few weeks anyway to help prevent mold during dormancy.
Take care,
Chef
Kapahulu liked this
By MikeB
Speaking of pests, I was spraying some of my purps this afternoon to discourage the mealy bugs from setting up shop for the winter and found a big-@ss field grasshopper munching on my alata "Red Throat". :evil: I hit him 3 times with the BioAdvanced, but I couldn't give him a good soaking. He eventually flew off to my neighbor's yard, but I imagine he's suffering a few nervous ticks by now.
Panman liked this
By septembersapphire21
ChefDean wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 pm ^^^^What he said. However, I've only been able to find it in the concentrated jug, while some people say they can find it in a ready to use spray bottle. It also has an anti-fungal property, so it might not be a bad this to spray for a few weeks anyway to help prevent mold during dormancy.
Take care,
Chef
Ok, that's good to know. I'll try to find it, hopefully my two local Lowe's or even Homr Depot had it. Thank u and u too!
By septembersapphire21
Panman wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:28 pm Bioadvance 3 in 1 is the name of the product.
Oh ok, my bad :lol: . I'll look into finding it my my local hardware stores, thank u!
By septembersapphire21
MikeB wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:09 am BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, & Mite Control

Ready-to-use

One 24-ounce bottle, $11.48
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265156745386

Two 24-ounce bottles, $19.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2WTS3R
Oh! This is more convenient than finding them at Lowes or Home Depot, the eBay one seems better for my budget. Thanks for the links! :D
By Ewreck
Speaking of pests, I was spraying some of my purps this afternoon to discourage the mealy bugs from setting up shop for the winter

What do you mean by this? I’ve had mealy bugs on plants in my backyard(not my cps fortunately) and now I don’t really see any? They kinda disappeared. I was using neem oil to try to keep them at bay but were still coming back so I would use alcohol and wipe em off. Just wondering if they are hiding waiting fr the right moment to strike again or what lol
By Apollyon
Love the 3-in-1 for VFTs. Unlike other CPs, it doesn't show any kind of wear when you use it. Just make sure to saturate the media as well, not only to kill potential eggs/larvae but also so the roots take in the chemical. I've sprayed my Sarracenia and VFTs outside with it a few times this year due to resilient pests coming back for more and it really wrecks their day. You may find an odd bug or two around your plant after a few days but it should start growing normal again. It's good for about 30 days. They say to measure what you're going to use but I've used it after it sat for a week or so and it appeared to do the job. It's safe for virtually any CP (That I've tried anyway) but it makes Drosera look terrible.
By MikeB
Ewreck wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:19 pm
MikeB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:35 am Speaking of pests, I was spraying some of my purps this afternoon to discourage the mealy bugs from setting up shop for the winter
What do you mean by this? I’ve had mealy bugs on plants in my backyard(not my cps fortunately) and now I don’t really see any? They kinda disappeared. I was using neem oil to try to keep them at bay but were still coming back so I would use alcohol and wipe em off. Just wondering if they are hiding waiting fr the right moment to strike again or what lol
Some of my purps (and roseas) have tightly clustered pitchers. The mealy bugs will hide at the base where it's very hard to see them. I have to separate the pitchers and search the plants to spot the fuzzy, white sap-suckers. I don't want them hiding out and feeding on my plants all winter long. After I spray a plant, I'll often find dead mealy bugs scattered across the pot a few days later.
Ewreck liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!