FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Savethetrees4life
First I hope this is ok I didn’t notice it in the rules so here goes. I thought this was a good place to post this.
I donate to them because I use to live in Columbus County NC so if u have an interest in keeping VFTs from the endangered species list please take a look at this website overall via the links I posted.
https://www.venusflytrapchampions.org
https://www.venusflytrapchampions.org/l ... plate.html
By septembersapphire21
Savethetrees4life wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:16 pm First I hope this is ok I didn’t notice it in the rules so here goes. I thought this was a good place to post this.
I donate to them because I use to live in Columbus County NC so if u have an interest in keeping VFTs from the endangered species list please take a look at this website overall via the links I posted.
https://www.venusflytrapchampions.org
https://www.venusflytrapchampions.org/l ... plate.html
Thank you for posting this! I don't live in NC or SC, but I see its very important to protect wild VFTs. I heard they are not only being endangered because of lands being cleared for homes and businesses, but people are stealing them from their habitat. That also needs to be addressed and stopped.
By Savethetrees4life
No problem I really hope this post helps them get more donations and those license plates generate decent revenue for conservation here in Minnesota so I’m hopeful. Last story I read was about someone caught stealing 1000 VFTs. :?
By MikeB
septembersapphire21 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:31 pm I heard they are not only being endangered because of lands being cleared for homes and businesses,
People are responsible for the flytrap's decline in multiple ways:
  • Plowing them under
  • Paving them over
  • Ditching the land (lowers the water table, drying out the ground too much)
  • Preventing brush fires (allows bushes and trees to grow up, cutting off the sunlight)
  • Poaching
What we need is legislation to protect the flytrap's habitat. As it stands now, a landowner is free to do whatever he/she likes with flytraps on their property, and with the property itself. If they want yet another golf course or Walmart on the site, too bad for the plants.
septembersapphire21 wrote: but people are stealing them from their habitat. That also needs to be addressed and stopped.
It has been, but catching the thieves in the act is still the main problem. Digging up flytraps on public property used to be a misdemeanor offense and a $50 slap-on-the-wrist fine. With the rapid decline in the wild populations, the governor sought to put a stop to this. In December 2014, he signed new protective legislation into law. It's now a Class H felony offense, with up to 2 years in jail and no limit on the fines (although it's typically $100 for every plant that the perp is caught with). Several poachers have been caught with hundreds of flytraps, and at least one of them was sentenced to jail.
Last edited by MikeB on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PlanT640847401
I think it would be better to extensively protect a few bogs than to loosely protect alot of bogs with rules people will just break.

I dont know about Carolina law but in CA, every wetland is extensively protected even if it was created unnaturally (I heard of one event where a water leak had gone on for a year, and the business was required to continue the leak as to not destroy the wetland created). I think unnatural wetlands should be exempted from protection, and focus funds on protecting natural wetlands.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
PlanT640847401 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:00 am I think unnatural wetlands should be exempted from protection, and focus funds on protecting natural wetlands.
That is, with the exception if there are carnivorous plants living in the unnatural bogs ;)
Last bumped by Savethetrees4life on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 pm.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!