FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By davinstewart
Ok, here's what I don't understand about growing Cephalotus ... in the wild they grow in freshwater seeps on the hillsides along the ocean shore. Here's a really good video of this: (#182) A Strange Carnivore Called Cephalotus folicularis

I'm assuming that on these seeps, the soil is constantly waterlogged and yet the cephs grow rampantly. So why is it that we have so many problems with wet soil when cultivating these beautiful plants?

Is it the water temperature? pH? Oxygenation? Is it because there's likely constant winds drying out the surface? Salt from the ocean inhibiting fungus?

Has anyone looked into this?

I've wondered this for years and am just getting around to posting about it now.

Thanks!
Apollyon liked this
By Rammplins
I've thought about this as well.

It must be something to do with the water flow and the wind, as groundwater "usually" has very little to no dissolved oxygen. In the wild they are in constantly waterlogged soil, but that water is constantly moving down the slope under the soil, slowly rinsing it in the process. Most of the time when we have a waterlogged ceph in a terrarium that water isnt really moving anywhere, its just sitting around the roots until it evaporates. Also as they are near the ocean there is probably wind buffeting them at all times drying out the top layer, where as in a terrarium there is usually no air flow to maybe a gentle breeze.

This is all speculation though, sounds like I may have a couple experiments to do later down the line when I get some cephs back in my collection.
By Apollyon
True perhaps the key is moving water or how much water that sand is actually retaining. People often use heavy amounts of sand to prevent root rot, perhaps the moisture threshhold of the sand itself allows the plant to live in it. With water constantly moving and oxygenating the soil. Being by the water allows the sand to stay waterlogged without drying up. Wind/temperature/light too, perhaps is a harmony of these conditions that allow it survive there

Idk, it's interesting to think about.
By Nepenthes0260
Based on other carnivore observations, I think it's a combination of water movement and water aeration. Similarly to Cephalotus, S. leucophylla tends to have rot issues in cultivation. In-situ, S. leucophylla (along with most other sarr species) grow in very boggy areas, with water sometimes fully covering the rhizomes. However, the habitats of Sarracenia frequently receive rain, which helps aerate the surprisingly clear water and prevent rot. Like leucos, Darlingtonia also grow in very wet environments, but the water in their mountain fens is moving due to small seepages from which it emerges, which prevents rot in the plants. I think that the habitats of Cephalotus likely receive a good amount of rain, in addition to subterranean water movement like Rammplins suggested.
By davinstewart
I like the water movement idea.

I was also thinking that there may be something accumulating in the root zone of the cephs that's normally whisked away by the flow of water.

It might be interesting to see if cephs can be grown using an ebb and flow watering method. That should meet the water movement aspect and even keep the substrate oxygenated. Might also help with lowering the temperature of the root zone, which might also be a factor.

I just happen to have built an outdoor ebb and flow table this month but everything is going dormant now here in Chapel Hill, NC. I also only have 1 ceph in my collection and it's in rough shape (just arrived this month and is still recovering from the trip). All of this means I won't be in a position to test this directly for some time, sadly.

Anyone else up for the challenge?
By Apollyon
Not sure there is a right way. A lot of variables that allow certain things. No doubt there are many different ways people grow them. I'm sure the others on this thread do it differently than myself. I opt for the high draining more frequency method. Mine do stand in water frequently but I flush the pots here and there. A lot of people do pure lfs if they do lfs but I do 50/50 with perlite.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!