FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kanra
So my VFT's soil was horribly infected with mold and I had to transplant it.

I know not to touch the traps, but mine is a baby (the biggest traps are the size of my pinky nail) with dozens of traps and it grows so close to the soil that it ended up being unavoidable. Many traps were so young, they hadn't opened yet, so it's hard to say how many closed, but a significant number did.

The roots were thankfully free of mold and the trap is safely back in the pot with fresh, low nutrient soil, but I'm concerned as to how to ensure it stays healthy.

I'm also concerned about a return of mold. I haven't watered it in the last three weeks and the soil was completely damp when I took it out. Watering it so sparingly doesn't seem right.

My trap grows in a pot inside at my windowsill. My watering method is a plastic cup in the pot with holes in the bottom that I pour the water into (I use distilled).
By Eventerminator
Maybe there's not enough air circulation at your windowsill? I grow my plants outside so the likely hood of fungal attacks are lower because of the sun and wind. Also, since your growing your plant inside, it would be best to cut on the watering. There's not much evaporation happening inside the house so you don't have to worry about water as much.
Kanra liked this
By Kanra
Sarracenia2004 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:03 am What soil did you repot it into? Is it always sitting in water (what level). How much light is it getting??
Could you upload a pic??
(I think my reply to this got lost and it won't let me reply again so hopefully a quote reply works.)
Old soil: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BF3Q27T/re ... N03JBZK24Q
New soil:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089H2R9GZ/re ... F4H06MSBXM

Some of the old soil wasn't moldy, and I mixed it with the new soil, especially since a lot of the old soil was tangled in the roots and I wanted to be gentle.

I'm unsure about water level, but I don't think it was always sitting in water. I'm pretty sure I would've seen water in the bottom of the watering cup if so.

I have it in front of a very large window where it gets a lot of light, although it's been getting less now that fall is here, as I get a lot of rain where I live in the colder months.

I have a pic of it originally from a few months ago and one I just took of it now repotted.
Attachments:
In old soil
In old soil
20210502_123245.jpg (915.43 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
New soil
New soil
20211101_113024.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 1772 times
By Eventerminator
Looks like they are going to be fine. Since it’s autumn they might be going dormant now. Flytraps really do best when grown outside but if you can’t grow them outside then you can consider getting a grow light.

There’s a lot of helpful members here that can you advice on growing flytraps inside.
Kanra liked this

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!