FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Lain
Recently we had rain for the first time in forever and I am spending way too much time daily trying to dig out vft seedlings that keep sinking. Always had a little sinking here and there but since the rain they want to live like snails in my shrimp tank hidden under the substrate.

So any advice on keeping them uptop where they should be? I'm using 50/50 peat perlite if that makes any difference.
By MikeB
I always put a layer of LFS on top to the soil to stop the rain from making a mess. My pots have sat through hurricane downpours with no moss or soil getting washed out. The layer of sphagnum also makes a good starting medium for seeds, and it gives their roots something solid to latch on to.
Kapahulu liked this
By VFTNoob
I shade my seedlings with greenhouse material and 40% shade cloth. They grow just fine and are protected from heavy rains. I gently top water every now and then to aerate the soil.
By Lain
Okay thanks for the advice everyone! I have no where to move them unless I want feral cats eating them again so the only thing I can do for now is try topping with LFS but first I have to try to find all the seedlings that have gone under. I've only recovered 40%ish so far. Damn things think they are meant to grow underground in the dark.
What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!