FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
These things have been popping up all over my sphag trays. At first I thought they were grasses or weeds, but now I think it could be a utric? Any ideas?
IMG_2406.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG (286.18 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
Panman liked this
By Cross
Not sure which kind, but those are definitely ultis. They have those tiny leaves independent of the flowers.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

elaineo liked this
By Nepenthes0260
I agree with the others, definitely utrics. Likely U. bisquamata but a bit hard to tell until you catch the flowers open.
elaineo liked this
By Lain
elaineo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 pm Should I add them to my grow list, or will ppl laugh at me?

.... or keep pulling them out?
I'll laugh at you so you should keep pulling them out and send them to me. :lol:

All joking aside if I were you I'd add them to the grow list.
elaineo liked this
By Apollyon
I'm gonna laugh at you too, just kidding. That's cool that you have some if you didn't see them before, hopefully they haven't really embeded themselves in your trays. Thing I noticed with the hitchhikers is they do a lot more work underneath than up top. I'd try to break up that area and maybe separate them if you want to keep them, otherwise you might find that entire tray becoming an utric colony :/ it's actually what I worry about with my quelchii growing where I grow moss.
elaineo liked this
By Apollyon
Not really, they definitely won't do much to an established plant. Something like seedlings may be an issue because of how dense it gets. The only *real* drawback to the cohabiting is when you repot, the utric makes a pretty thick layer you have to be careful with when you're repotting. Otherwise it's a good companion and gives a grassy appearance instead of star moss
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
elaineo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:13 pm Do they do anything bad, like strangle other plants? If they are just harmlessly sopping up nutrients then they are welcome here.
I have some species of ultric in my pots, not sure which one. The stuff grows so densely that it turns my live sphagnum into green mush. I think I've finally cleared it out of my moss propagation trays.
Apollyon, elaineo liked this
By elaineo
MikeB wrote: I have some species of ultric in my pots, not sure which one. The stuff grows so densely that it turns my live sphagnum into green mush. I think I've finally cleared it out of my moss propagation trays.
Ohhhhh I think I have seen some of the green mush effect you are describing. Sounds like utric needs to go into the compost.
@Lain, I can save some in a cup for you if you realllllly want it...
By Lain
elaineo wrote: @Lain, I can save some in a cup for you if you realllllly want it...
Yes! I'd realllllly like some. I have a out of the way spot that could use some color plus I've always been interested in utrics. Lemme know what I owe you. Thanks!
elaineo liked this
By Cross
Hey, if we're giving away ultis.... I've got some empty pots lol.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Panman liked this
By elaineo
@Supercazzola oh hey, yours looks really nice! Do they actually have roots or anything below the surface? Mine look like sludge.

@Cross, sure thing. But I will warn you that the stuff I have looks nothing like Supercazzola's photo above. Mine literally looks like the stuff that comes out of sewer pipes.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!