FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Is it possible to acclimate Spectabilis to lower humidity and still have it pitcher? Cause I hate to have my plants in ziploc baggies for the duration of their lives lol.
By CPhunter101
MaxVft wrote:Is it possible to acclimate Spectabilis to lower humidity and still have it pitcher?
Is your humidity under 50%? My natural humidity here in CA is usually above 60%.
I use my terrarium to amplify the humidity, my neps love it. :D
That spectabilis cross seems quite hardy so by slowly acclimating it to your humidity levels, it should grow well.
By optique
I got a pre order nepenthes from cooks. it was alive and well but they emailed me saying they sent me a more expensive plant and that i need to mail it back. I replied back with a photo of the plant showing it was what i ordered and they never responded back.

I also got a sarrs via bugbitingplants that was shipped to me from cooks. It burned when i put it in the sun like a VFT that had been in a death cube for ever, it was bagged covered in rotting tree leaves and you could see its roots were just snapped off like they plucked it instead of digging its roots up. Bugbitingplants apologized and refunded after I sent in photo's.
By Rammplins
Just throwing my 2 cents in. I just received and order for a couple neps him about 2 weeks ago, everything came in great shape even though the packaging was just newspaper and then a bag around the plants. The order shipped out something like 2 weeks late and was missing one of my plants, after trying 3 different emails I finally got ahold of him though his facebook email and he said he would credit me for the plant, but I am still waiting for the credit.

I probably wont ever use his site again, it seems like he really doesn't pay attention to any emails that come from it. I may get something from his ebay store though, as the plants I did get were in fine condition and i'll have some buyers protection from ebay.
By MaxVft
I finally got a reply but this was from his FB email. It had nothing to do with the damaged plant, he said he swapped it for the Glandulifera (@Cphunter was right) and asked me what my growing conditions were. I gave him a reply stating that and questions about a replacement non-damaged plant of lesser value. I have yet to get a response.
By Apollyon
Sounds like there's poor management of the inventory on his site. Sending something different without asking is kinda weird. I mean if I bought an FTS Archangel I'm not going to want to get a Towering Giant because the growth habit and the price is similar. Refund the money and move on. It sounds like a means to unload a plant for money that they were holding onto while making it sound like they were hooking you up.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Apollyon wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:17 am Sounds like there's poor management of the inventory on his site. Sending something different without asking is kinda weird. I mean if I bought an FTS Archangel I'm not going to want to get a Towering Giant because the growth habit and the price is similar. Refund the money and move on. It sounds like a means to unload a plant for money that they were holding onto while making it sound like they were hooking you up.
Yeah that's what I was figuring, but he's been stalling for the last 4 emails guessing why the plant got damaged, which is useless, but nothing on replacements/refunds...
By Nepenthes0260
Yikes :shock:. That’s definitely worthy of some sort of refund (especially the nep!). VFT doesn’t exactly look flowering sized either…
Apollyon liked this
By Panman
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:50 pm VFT doesn’t exactly look flowering sized either…
Then again, someone did just post a picture of a seedling that was flowering.
By Nepenthes0260
Panman wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:51 pm
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:50 pm VFT doesn’t exactly look flowering sized either…
Then again, someone did just post a picture of a seedling that was flowering.
Good point :lol:
By CPhunter101
Doesn't the Cook website say that all of the larger flytraps are NEAR flowering size?
This might be the reason why the seller sent a smaller flytrap than a flowering sized one.
Be wary of the small deatails...
By elaineo
I think we have all been spoiled by FlytrapStore plants. When FTS says "starter size", they really mean adult flowering sized plant. When FTS says "young adult", that's basically a ginormous clump, usually with multiple plants. So, of course we will be disappointed when ordering from anyone else.
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By Panman
elaineo wrote:I think we have all been spoiled by FlytrapStore plants. When FTS says "starter size", they really mean adult plant. When FTS says "young adult", that's basically a ginormous clump, usually with multiple plants. So, of course we will be disappointed when ordering from anyone else.
This is true.
By MaxVft
elaineo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:05 pm When FTS says "starter size", they really mean adult flowering sized plant.
Great point. But that wasn't the case with my Maroon monster, as I recieved a HUGE clump of 2-3 year old plants, wayy better than receiving just 1 flowering-sized plant. :D
elaineo liked this
By El Trap-o
Sorry to hear about your poor experiences but given the fortuitous timing of this thread being created, I figured I'd also leave my recent experiences with Cook's. I should also mention I got this plant off of his eBay store known simply as "flytraps" instead of his website of the same domain name.
20211028_151757.jpg
20211028_151757.jpg (5.66 MiB) Viewed 3163 times
I received this young scrapper yesterday, Dionaea muscipula 'periscope.' I paid about $37.00 total (including shipping which was $10.) which I don't think is too bad considering I don't often see this variety for sale much in the USA.
20211028_151738.jpg
20211028_151738.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 3163 times
It's looking a little fatigued from its journey from Oregon but not beyond redemption whatsoever. The box was pretty oversized though for such a small division but the pot itself was taped up sufficiently. It was not a negative experience, and I do appreciate the effort put in to keep the plant safe. I also ordered a Dionaea muscipula 'green wizard' a couple weeks ago, it came in looking a little better than this 'periscope' did.
20211028_162632.jpg
20211028_162632.jpg (4.53 MiB) Viewed 3163 times
After settling in a bit.
MaxVft liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!