FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I wouldn't recommend it. Sundews are equipped to handle small amounts of nutrients at a time. I think milk would be too nutrient rich.
By MikeB
Even though Charles Darwin did as an experiment, I wouldn't recommend doing it if you value your plants.
Apollyon, elaineo liked this
By MaxVft
Some old TerraForums posts had mentioned that this worked (tofu was also tested with flytraps with high success rates) but I wouldn't recommend risking the health and safety of your plant. Just go the easy route and buy a container of betta pellets at the pet store.
By elaineo
MikeB wrote:Even though Charles Darwin did as an experiment, I wouldn't recommend doing it if you value your plants.
Yeah, Darwin also found that drosera enjoy urine
https://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/letters ... ous-plants

This is the first time I saw this, but apparently Darwin pinned a live fly a quarter inch from a filiformis leaf to see if the leaf would reach over and grab the fly, and it did! :shock:
By optique
I don't think plants handle animal fats well in most forms. They do respond well to Betta fish food in small amounts. I use a paste made from "Tetra Betta Small Pellets" $2.12 on amazon
By MikeB
I've had people at the farmers' market ask silly questions like "Can I feed it some raw hamburger?" My response is "Stop and think about this for a minute: How often do you think a wild flytrap catches a cow?" That answers their question and makes them smile.
MaxVft, elaineo, Panman liked this
By Bill Phoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 pm I've had people at the farmers' market ask silly questions like "Can I feed it some raw hamburger?" My response is "Stop and think about this for a minute: How often do you think a wild flytrap catches a cow?" That answers their question and makes them smile.
but what about fish food? :?:
By Panman
Fish food contains similar nutrients to the bugs that the plants catch. Bloodworms are actually fly larvae.
MikeB, elaineo liked this
By MikeB
Freeze-dried bloodworms from the fish-food section are great food for carnivorous plants. Sprinkle some into a small bowl, add a few drops of water to rehydrate them, and they're ready to go.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!