FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Bill Phoenix
Does anyone know how to care for vfts in Texas(Houston Area zone 9a)?
Is dormancy different? If so, when does it happen? also, should I use a thick styrofoam pot because I don't want my plants to cook.
I currently have 1 Lowes vft, 4 Walmart vfts, and 1 small Drosera capensis from Petflytrap.com. They all grow in the same place. also, my Lowes vft has a bunch of small leaflets that arent on the growing point that hasn't really grown. I'm not really sure what they are.
Any answers would be much appreciated. :)
By MikeB
Bill Phoenix wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:01 pm Does anyone know how to care for vfts in Texas(Houston Area zone 9a)?
Is dormancy different? If so, when does it happen?
The flytrap's native range covers zones 7b and 8a. You should have no trouble keeping them outside in Houston (unless you get a repeat of last winter's ridiculous weather). Try to keep them in the 35-55F temperature range.
Bill Phoenix wrote: also, should I use a thick styrofoam pot because I don't want my plants to cook.
The extra insulation provided by a foam pot is a good idea. Also, you can paint the outside of the pot white to reflect more sunlight and help keep it cooler. Mask the bottom inch or so of the pot so the painted portion won't be under water in the saucer/tray.
Bill Phoenix wrote: They all grow in the same place. also, my Lowes vft has a bunch of small leaflets that arent on the growing point that hasn't really grown. I'm not really sure what they are.
Can you post a pic of this?
By MaxVft
Those leaflets are known as divisions, which is when the rhizome on the plant sprouts new plants. They are identical to the parent.
By Janedoe
I'm not sure how to post a new topic, so I'm replying to this thread. I rescued a VTF from my local grocery store yesterday, and this is my first foray into carnivorous plants. I've named the VTF Issac, and he's quite small, in a 2 inch pot. His largest trap is about 3/4 of an inch. He isn't in the best shape (being from the grocery store) and he seems pretty weak. I don't know when he last ate. Today I gave him a small caterpillar, and he started digesting it, everything was great. But 20 minutes ago I went up to check on him, and mid digestion the caterpillar chewed a small hole in his largest trap and escaped! I'm worried that he's going to die if he doesn't get nutrients, but don't know what else to feed him or how to make up for the energy he's expended closing the trap and starting the digestive process. pls help!
By Janedoe
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I think Issac (the VTF) may be starting to go into dormancy, but he isn't fully yet, that's why I wanted to feed him. I'll keep giving him more sun, and put him under a cloche for humidity. I'm just worried that all the energy he expended trying to digest the caterpillar will kill him, but I may just be too paranoid. He did seem healthy enough to start eating the caterpillar, so should I give him a week to recover and then try to feed him again? And if so, what kind of bug would you recommend for an easy meal (for Issac of course)? Thanks for the help🙃

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!