FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By BugBiters
Looks like tomorrow is the first day of pollination! All tips are appreciated, as it has taken a year of daily work to get to this point and I'm a bit terrified to muck it up. By minor miracle it looks like the N. spathulata x petiolata male (right) is starting to open ~12 hours before the female N. (lowii x veitchii) x boschiana (left), which is about perfect. It definitely lost one possible flower bud during shipping but the rest still look good. I also have some stored N. spathulata x spectabilis pollen from a flytrapcare user I am going to try on half the flower.
ImageImage

One of the lightening jewel orchids in my paludarium has also started to open flowers so it may get a similar treatment at the same time.

The incubator finally has humidity control and light, which makes things easier. We are testing our first nepenthes seeds on agar at the moment too, so fingers crossed.
Supercazzola, Apollyon liked this
By MaxVft
Sarracenia2004 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:10 pm Well, if it is successful, will you share seeds with the forum?
Not to speak for @BugBiters, but Nepenthes seeds have an extremely short shelf life and are oftentimes very rare and expensive, which is why the seed bank doesn't have them 99.9 percent of the time.
BugBiters liked this
By BugBiters
MaxVft wrote:
Sarracenia2004 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:10 pm Well, if it is successful, will you share seeds with the forum?
Not to speak for @BugBiters, but Nepenthes seeds have an extremely short shelf life and are oftentimes very rare and expensive, which is why the seed bank doesn't have them 99.9 percent of the time.
Yeah, sending them through the seed bank would take so long it would influence their viability :( BUT if I do have good luck I am planning on sending at least one seed pod out as a separate giveaway.
MaxVft liked this
By BugBiters
She's teasing me! It looks like the whole flower stalk is starting to loosen up around the same time, so it's a good thing I have some stored pollen ready to go too.

So far I have harvested one anther off the male (first pic, from yesterday) and this morning there are three more open but not quite ripe-looking (second pic, from today).

ImageImage
By BugBiters
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:05 pm Can't wait for the results :D (for those of you who don't know, I supplied the pollen).
Things are going really really well :D I have great progress pics to upload but it will probably be next week once we're back in town again.

This is a lot of work, y'all! Stick your plants somewhere you wont break your back trying to reach around them every day for weeks ;)
By BugBiters
Nocturne wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:01 pm Those are some very exciting combinations! Is that LVB’s red or yellow form?
I'll admit I'm a little fuzzy on how many clones are running around from this grex, but this is definitely at least a red form. My cutting has only produced red/white peristomes but the mother plant it came from has flushed all the way to having a deep pink body.

I got some interesting close-ups of the developing pollen - in the first photo there is an unripe flower on top, and a ripe one on the bottom. In the second, there are two fluffy, ripe flowers on top with one that is (I presume) starting to go bad.

ImageImage

Some opening female flowers directly post-pollination last week.

And this is how the female flower looked right before we left for a weekend trip - almost all the way opened. I have a lot more pollinating to do again now!

B52

Nice. How large are those traps? At least 1+ […]

Last I talked to him, the county was throwing more[…]

Itsy bitsy spider

Poor thing! I force any bug I find into my pla[…]

Hello from Pennsylvania!

Woot woot NEPA gang. I'm in Luzerne County. Sent[…]

Photo period for flowering? (VFT)

Honestly, I think it's probably the dormancy that[…]

FIRST BASAL

My nep that i rescued has given me a basal shoot[…]

Nepenthes klossi problem????

And it retains water? Or doest it just pass throu[…]

AABBADD0-7460-4B61-9013-E4A17C7C415A.jpeg

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!