FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By dlatngh
Hey guys
I grow my VFTs indoors under growlights and now that dormancy season is coming up, I want to see if its possible for me to reduce the photoperiod to local sunrise - sunset (10 hrs where I live) without altering the temperature too much. I heard the main drive of dormancy is reduced photoperiods but I haven't read anything about keeping the temperatures so I wanted to double check.
thanks in advance!
By Cross
I have heard the same thing, photoperiod. All of mine are indoors. It doesn't get as cold in east NC as some people think.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

By tommyr
IMHO cold temps are necessary. Think of where they come from. But good luck with that.
By Cross
tommyr wrote:IMHO cold temps are necessary. Think of where they come from. But good luck with that.
I lived there though. It didn't get cold like you think. Infact, I never wore a winter jacket. I think at most it was a hat and hoody.... hoodey? Hoodie....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

By Savethetrees4life
I have roughly the same question cuz I lived in Columbus county NC aka the green swamp and like Cross said its a temperate area near a coastal region. So during winter it warms to 50F days and roughly freezing at night. At least that’s wat I remember. I’m basically doing the same thing with my lights since my basement stays around 50F
and for the fact of the matter I wore a coat lol.
By Panman
For dormancy there does need to be a temperature drop and reduced photo period. The amount of a drop is what is in question. Freezing temperatures are not required but a period of lower temperatures, perhaps under 60, are needed to start the dormancy. As has been reported other places, dormancy is not "require" but skipping it requires special conditions and practices. It also seems to be dependent on the cultivar. Some do better than others. Refrigerator dormancy is required for those places where the temperatures never get below 70.
Cross wrote:I lived there though. It didn't get cold like you think. Infact, I never wore a winter jacket. I think at most it was a hat and hoody.... hoodey? Hoodie....
That would be cold enough. Typical indoor temperatures are higher than that and are not suitable for inducing dormancy.
Savethetrees4life liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!