FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Good afternoon friends.
I'm finding that I'm in a little pickle, and am considering spreading some seeds out in dropping them. Your thoughts?
We have more than a few nice seeds in (right now I have seven different varieties) some seeds that have made a full circle (they went out from the seed bank a couple years ago, germinated, grew, set seed, and got donated back), I just harvested another Sarr, I received some Sarr seeds from Xanthoparmelia that I can make a pack to put in the bank (he must have slipped packing them up, accidentally dropping a few extra in), and I have recently received word of even more coming in (at least three more varieties). So, in light of just the number of different ones, I'm thinking I should hold some for a December drop rather than a big November drop.
Most are temperate, so a December drop will still give time for an outdoor stratification if you desire, and will give everyone a better chance at scoring a couple nice ones instead of pulling their hair out trying to decide which one of ten to request.
Another option is to split multiple packs, but there aren't many of those.
Either way, most of them will have the 48 hour donor restriction, so that's another thing to consider.
Take care friends,
Chef
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By MaxVft
That sounds like a great idea. You can do a decent-sized (by no means big) drop in November and then another decent-sized drop for December.

But @Panman makes a good point. I mean, who doesn't like new seeds? :D
By sundewd
I think with seeds nothing is for certain until they're a plant so the default should be to list them as soon as received/ready. Also while I understand the reasoning of waiting for specific times like the start of the month so people can plan for it/have their pick available, it will still advantage certain people who are able to check then over others who either can't or don't remember. The randomness of right away I think will result in a more random outcome which would potentially be more fair which is the goal I think of waiting. I think it also incentivizes thinking about if you really want the seeds you pick, instead of picking whatever you think is the best for the month, because something better could always come later in the month. But also I like the December extravaganza idea. it could be nice to leave it up to the donator if they would like the seeds to be listed right away or held for an event. Then conduct a December extravaganza where people can get extra seeds that month or win seeds in some fashion different than the regular request system. (you could use it to clear old seeds out too)
MaxVft liked this
By evenwind
They say problem solving is often easier with Visual Aids...
pickle.jpg
pickle.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
You're welcome!

If we're voting, I'm with Panman. Drop them all on November 1st. And that way more people will get a shot at 'em.
MaxVft, Panman liked this

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!